14 | rescue...?

Picture is Kakashi using Chidori

I slowly regained consciousness to a terrible headache and the dizzy feeling like I was going to be sick. I opened my eyes a crack, but the light was so blinding that I closed them again instantly. Had it always been that bright?

"Ten hours in a Genjutsu does that to a person," Dochi commented, observing me with a kind of intrigued amusement that was like looking at someone completely different.

I tried to speak, but my lips were clumsy and my throat too dry to make a sound. If I had been a mess before, it was nothing compared to my condition now. So much for stoic resistance. How had he used that Genjutsu? The scroll said he was a Taijutsu user with a little ability in Wind style Ninjutsu.

"That was a gift from a friend of mine," Dochi said, as if reading my mind. "It was very useful to me. I have found much in that little red head of yours."

I forced myself to look at him, but my eyes refused to focus. So that's what it was; he was digging through my head. He had probably seen most of my memories.

"I was disappointed to see that you were telling the truth, before." He continued. "But I found some very interesting, highly classified information about Konoha that will fetch a high price. How lucky of me to catch an ANBU medic with direct ties to the Hokage."

"You..." I couldn't force the words out. I was completely sapped of strength, both mental and physical. I hadn't eaten in who knows how long, and I wasn't sure how long I'd last.

"I'm amazed you still have the strength to speak." Dochi commended me, though I wasn't quite sure why he was so impressed. "But don't think you're getting out. This place is completely undetectable, and your friends - Teren and Garake, weren't they? - won't be able to find you."

I summoned what little strength I had. "Just kill me."

Dochi laughed. "Not likely. I want more information, girl."

"How... many times." My breathing grew heavy and laboured, but I was now regaining little pieces of strength. "I have... a name."

"I don't like your spirit." He frowned. "Too strong willed. I prefer more submissive girls."

"You're sick."

"I can assure you that I am in perfect health." Dochi cackled at his own joke. "When you've recovered enough to take my Genjutsu again, I'll be taking some more information."

"That's messed up." My strength was coming back at a rate that I knew was illogical, but I wasn't complaining. I concealed my recovery in the hopes that I could somehow let someone know where I was. I could feel that we were somewhere in the forest still, because the chakra signature of the plants outside told me that they had grown in the same conditions. I decided to draw on a little of the plant chakra, and see if I could do anything with it.

"I think of it more as... service. I know lots of people who have been looking for information like this," Dochi said, unaware of what I was doing.

I had managed to use my Kekkei Genkai to reach a tree, and I pulled its branches down so that it was pointing at me, though I couldn't see it from the inside and I was hoping Dochi couldn't either.

"Like who?" I stalled for time, secretly hoping that someone would notice the tree and break me out. I knew it was unlikely, but if they didn't, I might be able to surprise him and kill him. Then what? I didn't know. Maybe I'd just die here.

"That's none of your business, kid." Dochi scowled at me. I pretended to have a fit of pain and tensed up all my muscles, feeling the shackles dig into my wrists. Blood trickled slowly down my arm; good. He wouldn't think I was doing this on purpose.