Part II

Mariana's POV- January 2016

"Are you sure you want to stay?"

I looked at Ellie who stood up and reached for her purse as I took the last sip of coffee.

"Yeah, I promised his dad I'd wait until he got here" I told her.

I smiled at her.

"I'll be fine" I assured her.

She made a face and adjusted her purse on her arm.

"Call me when you're on your way back?"

"I will" I promised.

She squeezed my shoulder and made her way down the hallway. I leaned back and let out a deep breath. I was starving, the coffee I had just finished was the only meal I had in the past 5 hours. Right before we got to the hospital the blond had gripped onto my hand and asked if I could call his dad. As much as Ellie wanted me to just drop him off and go eat, I could not do that. His dad asked if I could keep his son company while he got there. I wasn't family, so I couldn't exactly keep my word there. All I could do was wait, and I had been doing that for the past 8 hours. I reached for one of the books I had to read for a Mexican-American Studies course I was taking. The class looked like a total joke, but it satisfied a Gen Ed requirement I needed to graduate. I read about 10 pages of the reading when I heard footsteps approaching me. I looked up and offered a smile at the older man who looked at me. He had no hair, but even I had to admit it, he was handsome.

"Are you Mariana?"

I nodded recognizing his voice from the phonecall I had a bit ago.

"I'm Michael, William's father"

He let out a deep breath and stuffed his hands into his pockets.

"Have they told you anything?"

I shook my head.

"No, but the nurse did tell me to tell you to go up front so they can tell you" I answered.

He nodded and excused himself before making his way towards the front desk. I looked at my opened backpack where his son's phone, sunglasses and wallet were. The sunglasses had been cleaned off, and did not have puke on them anymore.

"I'll call his nurse so she can inform you on his condition"

He made his way over and took a seat next to me.

"When you brought him in, how was he?"

"He was running a fever, and his eyes were incredibly dilated" I informed him.

He sighed and shook his head.

"Where was he?"

"Downtown" I answered.

He looked at my backpack and I took the time to reach for his son's phone, sunglasses and wallet.

"These are his" I said.

Just as he took the items a throat was cleared. He immediately stood up and looked at the nurse who smiled.

"You must be William's father"

He nodded and she eyed me. This nurse had been incredibly rude to me and Ellie the minute she saw us. 

"How is he?"

She looked back at Michael and nodded.

"He came in with a high fever, but it was not due to his concussion. CT scans showed that your son has apendicitis that will not need surgery"

"So he's on antibiotics" I said.

She looked at me and pursed her lips a bit. The appendix was a strange organ since no one really knew it's exact purpose. Humans could live without it, but I had read an journal article published not that long ago stating that appendectomy surgeries had decreased because doctors found that they could be treated with antibiotics. There was no need for surgery unless the inflammation could not be contained.