Part XXXV

Mariana's POV- November 2016

About a month ago George had posted a selfie of him drinking beer captioned, 

Wait, this isn't a baseball game #GeorgeTakesToronto 

That same day Esmeralda posted a picture of her standing in between Morgan Reilly and Auston Matthews captioned, 

I'm no photographer, but I can picture us together #EBInToronto

George had interned for Team North America during the World Cup of Hockey, and I hoped that it would be the last time he associated with any Maple Leaf players. Then I found out that Esmeralda was dating Auston Matthews. George and Esmeralda were best friends so I knew he was associating with the team to some extent. 

"I heard you're not coming home for Thanksgiving" I stated.

I adjusted my camera and took a picture of the players that were practicing.

"You talked with mom and dad?"

"I had breakfast with dad this morning" I answered.

"I could hear people skating around you"

"More like in front of me, I figured I'd come take some pictures of the players while they practiced" I told him.

He hummed.

"What are you up to?" I asked.

"I'm actually picking up some Chinese Food"

"I miss that Chinese Food" I admitted.

"Sorry for ditching you"

"It's alright, I'm spending Thanksgiving with Cat, Ty and a few of their friends" I informed him.

"Friendsgiving"

"Mom didn't really like the idea, but dad understood" I told him.

"Dad has always been the more understanding one"

I nodded.

"Where are you spending Thanksgiving?" I asked.

"I don't know yet, but I'll probably go bug Ellie or something"

I smiled.

"How is she?" I asked.

"She's blonde at the moment"

"No way" I said.

I waved at Adrian who thumped the glass as he skated by.

"Her family approves of Jeff"

"That's great to hear" I told him.

Ellie and Jeff had been dating since I left in May.

"Give me a second"

I took the time to walk around and take pictures of the guys practicing. 

"So I got a media pass to take pictures during Marlies Practice"

"That's real cool" I stated.

"I haven't told anyone I'm related to you since I don't want people comparing us"

"Make sense" I added.

I was incredibly thankful for that.

"Have you met any players?" I asked.

"I told you I met William Nylander, right?"

I felt a tug on my chest and I looked down at the screen of my camera.

"That's pretty cool" I told him.

That was not cool, it was uncool.

"He had a real bad panic attack last night"

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Ellie had told me he had a real big panic attack the night I flew back to LA. It was the first of many apparantly and I felt incredibly guilty for that.  

"Mari, you there?"

"Yeah, sorry I was adjusting my lense" I lied.

"I figured"

I nodded and sat down.

"Is he ok?" I asked.

"Nylander? Yeah he'll be fine. I'm actually headed to the condo he lives in" 

"That's cool" I said.

"So what's the reason you called me. I doubt it was to know about William Nylander"

You'd be surprised Georgie, you'd be surprised. I was hoping they wouldn't meet but they had done so

"Do you know him by the way? He did play with the Marlies last season"

"I didn't really speak with the players" I told him.

George could tell when I was lying and he must have had something on his mind because I got a hum instead.

"So I called you because mom wants to know if you finally got around to editing my graduation pictures" I stated.

He chuckled.

"I honestly haven't but I will...eventually" 

I laughed.

"Do it soon yeah? Mom is annoying"  I told him.

"Alright, I'll try. It's freezing out here how did you come to school here when it snowed?"

"I wore layers" I admitted.

"I don't like wearing layers"

"Either that or you freeze" I said.

"My nose is always frozen regardless of the layers I wear"

I laughed.

"I have to let you go because I've got no clue on how to get to that condo"

"Ok" I told him.

"Bye"

I bid goodbye and the call ended. 

"Fuck" I mumbled.

George was a lot smarter than he led on, he was going to figure this out. The big question was, how long would it take.

A/N: Jk, you get another post right now and another tonight (if I remember).