Part VI

Mariana's POV- January 2016

"How's school?" I asked my brother, George.

"I've got a midterm next week"

"I figured" I admitted.

It was week 3, and UCLA had the quarter system.

"What about you? I bet it's slow"

I nodded.

"It is, I'm not used to having so much free time" I confessed.

He laughed.

"Only you would complain about a semester being too long"

"I mean at least I have time to explore Toronto" I told him.

"Are you enjoying your time there?"

"It's real cold, but its nothing layers of jackets can't fix" I replied.

"You didn't answer my question"

"I actually am" I admitted.

"That's real good Mari"

I smiled.

"What about you Georgie, do you still hate the people you live with?" I asked.

He nodded.

"A lot actually, they are the messiest people to live with"

"So I take it that you won't renew the lease" I said.

"You're just loving this, aren't you?"

I smiled.

"Maybe" I told him.

I warned him about signing a lease with the people he lived with. Two were in a frat, and the other three were incredibly messy.

"I told you so" I added.

"Yes you did, and I hate that you were right"

"When am I not wrong?" I asked.

"That's true, but at least I technically don't have to look for housing until winter quarter"

George was going to study abroad at the beginning of the next school year. He had three options; Toronto, South Africa, and Spain.

"Both mom and dad said no to South Africa cause they claim it's not safe and too far"

"It is too far" I stated.

"I'm going to ask Jonathan, Esmeralda's brother about his time in Spain"

Esmeralda was one of George's close friends. I was real glad that he made friends, he had a habit of being incredibly blunt and not many people like that. There was no romance there, just friendship. He had a big crush on Esmeralda's friend, but he refused to accept it. 

"You should come study abroad here" I told him.

"Send me some pictures so I can decide"

"I'll send you some later" I promised.

"I'm going to let you go because I told myself I'd go to the dark room to get some prints"

"Have fun" I said.

We bid goodbye and I closed my laptop. I glanced up as the door opened and Ellie walked in.

"Are you ready to go eat?"

I was starving at the moment.

"Did you find a place you wanted to eat at?" I asked.

"Yes, let's eat some Sushi"

"Sounds good to me" I said as I got off my bed.

"You're over 19, right?"

I smiled.

"I'm 20 years old" I told her.

"I was thinking we could drink some margaritas, eat some sushi and then sing some karaoke"

"That sounds like a Friday night well spent" I stated.

"Alright, let me call a cab"

I nodded and looked at my phone as it chimed. I had a text from my mom asking me to call her. Truth is, I did not have the best relationship with my mom. We just did not get along, and that was because I walked in on her and another guy that wasn't my dad. They separated shortly, and then divorced by the time George and I turned 18. The only reason my parents got married was because my mom was pregnant with George and I. Back in the days it was the "right" thing to do, so that the child would not be born out of wedlock. 

A/N: This story takes place before and after my Auston Matthews story. You don't need to read the story to understand it since I will bring up everything stated.