Chapter 3: Tired

"And for finishing your exams with flying colors, you have been granted your diploma. A small gift for such a brilliant student and amazing young woman," Louise spoke loudly, a smile on her face. Clapping ensued after her little speech.

I was trying to keep my smile alive as she handed me a framed and signed paper, my hand shaking. My diploma. Our week together was up and this was most likely the last time I would see my LuLu.

"Thank you," I said to her gratefully, willing myself not to cry.

"Pictures, everyone, pictures!" My mother squealed, shoving her phone into a maids hands.

Her and my father flanked one side of me while Louise stood on my other side. We all stood closely and Louise wrapped an arm around my waist.

The maid held up my mothers phone and took pictures like mad. I'd have to unscrew my smile later.

"Thank you Louise, your excellent teaching has made our daughter such a bright woman," my mother said, extending her hand to shake Louise's.

"Thank you, Martha," Louise grinned proudly, "She has been my best student."

I've been her only student? I wanted to laugh but I couldn't bring myself to.

My father also shook her hand and my parents looked at me.

"We're so proud Evangeline. Colleges all over this country are going to want you. In the meantime, your father and I have a meeting to attend. But we have a dinner scheduled for tonight with some friends, be ready to go at five darling."

They kissed me on the cheek briefly and left me standing in the living room with Louise. Glad they could squeeze me into their schedule....

"I'm so very proud of you," Louise said immediately after they left. She wrapped me up in a tight hug and her pride felt so much better than my parents'.

"Thank you," I said into her shoulder, my voice muffled.

She pulled back and fixed the little graduation cap she had brought me on my head, "Eva, my flight is in twenty minutes."

The little dam I had spent hours building this morning collapsed and my voice shook, "I know."

Tears filled my eyes and ran down my cheeks like a flood. Louise's own brown eyes watered, "Oh god Eva, please don't cry."

"I'm sorry," I blubbered and tried to wipe my eyes but it wouldn't help.

She hugged me again and I cried into her fire red hair. My best friend was leaving me and I couldn't do a thing about it.

"I won't make you late," I said as I gently pushed her away.

She glanced at her watch and nodded, trying to dry her tears.

"I'm going to miss you," she sighed heavily and I nodded, "I'm really going to miss you too."

She grabbed her two suitcases and smiled sadly at me. She turned to leave but paused, letting go of her bags. They thumped on the ground as she spun around to face me.

Louise looked at me and placed her hands on my shoulders sternly, her grip hard and serious, "Listen to me Eva, please."

I nodded quietly with wide eyes.

"I've listened to your dreams and I've read your essays. They're all so beautiful and I have such hope in you. You have so much more potential than they think. You can't live under your parents forever. You can do it, you hear me? You can do what you've been dying to do since you were little. I know you can. You're too smart and too driven to live like them. I want you to know that even if they're not behind you, I am. Okay? You can do it Eva, okay?" She said seriously and more tears dribbled down my cheeks.