Chapter 32: A New Eva

I scrubbed my head with a towel as I left the bathroom. I went and got dressed before combing through my hair.

Looking in the mirror, I tried to decipher if I was the same person or not. My hair was shorter and a little darker. I was actually tan for once, my cheeks were naturally rosy and flecked with darker freckles.

I smiled at myself, I liked the way Eva looked now. The new Eva- the real one.

I left the bedroom and raised an eyebrow as I heard cute growls. Logan was on the floor in the living room with Nix in front of him.

"What are you doing to my dog?" I chuckled, sitting on the couch.

"Watch this," he grinned at me. I watched him hold up a piece of turkey, "Sit Nix."

Nix's butt hit the floor as she stared at the piece of meat, totally focused. Logan taught my dog to sit.

"Good girl," Logan praised and started to hand her the food. He pulled it away when she jumped up to grab it.

"Hey, gentle," Logan instructed, making Nix sit again and nicely take the food.

"You're the puppy whisper," I smiled, shoving Logan with my foot.

He shrugged, "Now if only we could train her to not piss on the floor."

"She'll learn," I assured him.

"So, I found something last night," Logan stood up and draped himself across my lap.

"What would that be?"

Fifteen minutes later, I was standing in the doorway of the deck, looking at Logan worriedly.

"Eva it's fine," he insisted, walking out across the deck and jumping onto the dock near the lake.

"Yeah, like the screen door is perfectly fine. That death cat might come back," I said cautiously.

Logan held up the poles and tackle box, "It won't be back. We can have Nix out here too, she'll tell us if she sees anything."

I rolled my eyes and grabbed Nix's leash. She strained at it and tried to scrabble outside faster. I tentatively left the cabin and walked down to the dock, "I dunno about this. We don't have bait."

"Bass don't need bait, they like the lures," Logan said, holding up a little jelly fish resembling thing that had hooks dangling from its tail.

"Hmm," I said doubtfully, wondering how something like that could look appetizing to a fish. I was just glad I didn't have to stab through it to put it on a hook.

I took one pole that Logan offered and tied Nix's leash close to me as she looked over the side of the dock. I chuckled as she barked at the fish, scaring them.

"Sit," I said and she sat down quietly.

"So...is bass fishing different?" I asked Logan.

He nodded, "Sort of. Bass react to movement. So you cast, slowly bob and reel, and then start all over again."

"Okay?" I nodded in surely.

Logan threw his legs over the edge of the dock, siting down heavily. I sat beside him and waited to follow his example.

He cast his line efficiently and waited a moment before slowly reeling the line back in, moving his wrist to twitch and jerk the line a little as he did so.

"It mimics the movement of what the bass eat," he explained.

"Oh," I mumbled, looking at my pole. This was going to take a little more skill than I believed I had.