Chapter 28: Nixed

The landscape around us changed drastically as we drove. Eventually, we left any of the city sights and the land became rockier.

Logan and I opted to travel by highway instead of by the interstate. It was like taking the scenic route.

The Midwest was awesome. I'd never seen so much grass and open space. Logan chuckled as I stayed glued to the window.

"That's a ranch," Logan explained as we passed a fenced in place.

Horses ran by the railing and reared their heads, seemingly racing with us. They became a common sight, along with cows and deer.

We drove through farmland, open grassland and even through some forests.

Logan and I had been switching on and off every four hours of driving. Eventually, it had gotten later in the evening and we found ourselves in the middle of nowhere.

We were also hungry.

Logan pulled over on the side of the highway and put the tailgate down. We made some sandwiches and grabbed a couple of water bottles.

"The next stop we see, we can stay at for the night and start again tomorrow," Logan said and I agreed.

I was chowing down on a ham and cheese chunk when Logan nudged my shoulder.

I paused and looked at him.

"What the hell?" He raised an eyebrow, looking down the highway.

I put my hand over my eyes and squinted in the sunlight. A large truck was speeding down the middle of the road.

"Why are they going so fast?" I looked at Logan, who shrugged.

We watched the truck get closer and I figured some reckless idiot was behind the wheel.

Logan causally ate his sandwich as we waited. The truck finally came into clear view and was very close to us.

We jumped as the screeching noise of brakes sounded and the truck only slowed down enough to open a window and toss something out of it.

I flinched as a box tumbled past our tailgate, narrowly missing us and turned to watch the truck speed off.

I jumped down off the tailgate, walking out to the middle of the road angrily, "What the fuck asshole?!"

Who the hell throws a box out of their window at total strangers? There was only a number of things that I found ruder than that.

"I can't believe some people can act so awfully. What if that had hit us? Why did they throw a box?" I rambled, putting my hands on my hips as I watched the truck disappear down the highway.

It was out of sight and I was still ticked.

"Uh, Eva?"

I turned around and saw Logan on the other side of the truck, looking down.

"What? Do we have a flat tire?" I groaned and ran around the side.

I gasped as Logan raised something white and fluffy out of the box. It whimpered piteously.

"Someone threw a fucking puppy out of the window?!" I exclaimed, completely shocked and horrified.

The puppy's tail began to wriggle and Logan chuckled as it struggled to lick his face.

I instantly cooed and hurried over to pet the puppy. Despite being tossed out in a cardboard beer box like a piece of trash, the puppy looked and acted totally fine.