Chapter 8: Truly American

I had to remember where I was for a moment when I first woke up. I sat up and blinked in the semi darkness.

The clock next to me said 10:34. I had never slept in so late before, it felt good. I smiled and looked across the room.

Logan was sprawled out across his bed, face down with the blankets tangled around his legs and one arm dangling off the side.

I giggled quietly and crawled out of bed. I grabbed some clothes and went to the bathroom, getting ready for the day.

No one was telling me to do my makeup or make sure my hair looked good. I smiled at myself in the big bathroom mirror and just pulled my hair up in a scruffy ponytail full of curls.

My outfit was just a hoodie and jeans. And a sports bra, those things were magical, and I could wear them all the time now if I wanted.

I left the bathroom and found Logan right where he was twenty minutes before. A light snore came from him as he slept peacefully.

There was a light tap at the door and I raised an eyebrow. I unlocked the door and swung it open.

An older woman with a plump round face, grey hair, and a tray stood at the door.

"Complementary breakfast?" She asked politely, smiling at me and showing me some of the food she had with her. I scanned over the cart and my stomach growled in a reminder that it wanted breakfast.

"Sure," I grinned, "I have a friend too..."

"Wonderful! Two plates, take what you like," she said cheerily and handed me two plates.

I got Logan some fried eggs, pancakes, bacon and water while I just took a bagel and orange juice for myself.

"Do you need any help?" I asked the old woman as she began to push the heavy looking cart.

"No thank you dear, this keeps me young," she laughed, "Have a nice day hun."

"You too," I said and went back into the room.

I set Logan's water on the bedside table beside him and set the plate of food on the bed right next to his head. I watched his nose twitch as he smelled the food.

He sat up seconds later and blinked blearily, "Food?"

"Yeah," I laughed and sat on my bed.

"Where did you get this?" He yawned, sitting up all the way to eat.

"A nice lady knocked on the door and she had a whole cart full of breakfast," I said, munching on my bagel.

"You opened the door to a stranger?" Logan looked at me concernedly.

I made a face, "It was an old lady, what was she going to do? Throw her dentures at me?"

Logan shook his head, "Well...just wake me up first okay?"

I rolled my eyes and finished off my bagel, "Fine."

He nodded as he accepted my answer and dug into his food like a hungry dog. I chuckled and finished off my juice.

I theorized that since Logan had been in a bad neighborhood for years, he had a protective streak. I've noticed a lot of this kind of behavior actually.