Chapter 39: Trail Riding

I stood on the balcony of our room. We'd found the Havasupai hotel that was a nice place to stay. It was pricy, but the view was worth it.

Behind the entire hotel was a large rock fixture that was common to see in Arizona. On the way here, I had watched the land turn from green forest to red tinted desert.

The temperature has risen drastically. It was 102 degrees Fahrenheit here, and that was normal for the area. I was standing on a shaded balcony in a tank top and shorts and was sweating my ass off.

My hair had to be tied up on the top of my head in a tight bun to keep it off the back of my neck. I'd opted for a glass of ice cold water instead of a mug of hot coffee.

Regardless of the heat, I was already enjoying this destination.

Nix sat panting heavily at my feet, her fur too thick to be out here. We'd have to leave her in the hotel this time, I didn't want her to overheat.

I heard a rustling noise and looked over my shoulder. Logan got out of bed and looked at around for me.

"Finally, it's been an hour since I got up," I grinned at him, walking back through the sliding glass door and into the cooled room.

Logan stretched, rather sexily to me and yawned, "Well you're up awful early for someone who was sick."

"It's been four days since I've been on antibiotics and I've done nothing but sleep," I chuckled, closing the door behind me after Nix ran in, "And I already have a plan for the day."

Logan's eyebrows raised in surprise, "Really? What's that?"

"Get dressed. Lightly too, it's really hot. Grab your swimming trunks," I grinned at him. I had already put on my swimsuit and you can bet I was covered in sunscreen.

Although, by now, I was actually quite tan and had built up some sort of defense against the sun. It was interesting to try to remember resembling a fair Russian dolls skin to my now tan completion.

My mother was going to be so pissed. Good.

Logan quickly got his things together, excited to learn about what I had planned for the day.

We had a quick breakfast and left the hotel. I drove to a nearby road and we came to some stables. Logan was looking more confused than ever, "Are we lost?"

"Nope," I grinned, parking the truck and getting out. I made sure I had my sunglasses and sunscreen with me as we walked towards the main building.

The air conditioning was a relief as we walked through the door. A man at the counter looked up, his skin deeply tan and his long black hair tied back in a low ponytail.

"Hello," he greeted nicely.

"Hi," I smiled, "I read you guys rent out horses?"

I could see Logan looking at me curiously out of my peripheral vision.

The man nodded, "Yes, we have many trails as well. A guide could take you through any of them today."

"I was hoping to head to the falls," I said excitedly, remembering the pictures I had seen.

"Our last guide just left with a large group and will not be back for a couple hours. Would you like us to contact you then?" He came around the counter, dressed in flannel and jeans.

A couple hours was a long while and I didn't have any other ideas for the day. I was also pretty impatient.

"Well..." I looked at Logan.