Chapter 31: The Wildlife

I woke up to the smell of food. Last night after my breakdown, Logan took me to bed and got me to sleep off any more anger I felt for my parents.

I wasn't asleep long when some wolves began to howl outside, which was as unnerving as anyone would think. As if that wasn't bad enough, Nix decided to join them.

I sat up and rubbed my slightly swollen, slightly crusty eyes. I probably looked like hell after that cry fest. I felt a little embarrassed that I broke down like that in front of Logan.

My heart fluttered as I remembered what he told me. My parents couldn't love me, but he sure as hell did. It came to my attention last night that I loved Logan just as much as he loved me.

I sighed and looked out the big window. Sunlight streamed in and warmed my bare legs. I could hear the birds singing and I felt better. It was a release last night. My chest felt less tight and I could breathe freely.

I threw my legs over the side of the bed and wandered out of the bedroom.

"She wants to wear my shirt to bed, she wants to make every stray a pet and drive my truck around with no place to go. But she needs to feeeel that fireeee. The one that lets her know for sure, she's everything I want and more- a reallll desireeee. Does she know I'd walk out alone on the wire, to make her feel that fire," Logan was singing in a deep voice while he stood in the kitchen.

I smiled as I quietly watched him stand at the stove, stirring around scrambled eggs, turning bacon and flipping pancakes while sneaking bits to Nix. The windows were open and a cool breeze blew into the cabin.

"She wants a cabin in the woods, she wants to stand where nobodys stood, and someday she wants a couple kids of her own," he sang happily, flipping a pancake with ease.

I walked up behind him and wrapped my arms around his torso, kissing the nape of his neck, "Morning."

Logan stopped singing and turned around, smiling, "Good morning gorgeous."

I chuckled, knowing full well I looked like I'd been run over by the bus we rode yesterday.

"Breakfast?" He gestured to the cooking spread.

I nodded, "Yes please, I'm starving."

"It'll be done in a bit, but there's coffee," Logan pointed behind me and I walked over to the Kureg to pour myself a mug.

I stirred some sugar into my coffee, walking around the island to look out the window.

I wandered up to the sliding doors that led out to the deck. I pushed the glass aside and looked out the screen door, smiling as I studied the forest.

Nix ran around the corner and crashed into my legs gracelessly. She just couldn't get used to this hardwood floor. I chuckled and bent down to pet her, "Silly girl."

She stood on her back legs to paw at me. I took her paw and shook it, "Shake hands Nixie."

She dropped down and her ears perked up. I raised an eyebrow as her fur fluffed out and she began to growl, rather viscously instead of playfully.

"Nix?" I straightened up and watched her lower her head and snarl, her ears laying back.

I turned around and shrieked, sloshing my hot coffee all over my hand and onto the floor, "Logan!!"