Chapter 47: Happy Birthday

I told Logan our new course of action. We weren't quite finished with our business in New York just yet.

Twenty minutes after leaving the Rivers estate, we were back in Logans neighborhood.

I was holding up my promise to help his father. I may have lost my parents, but there was no reason he couldn't fight for his remaining parent.

"Are you sure you're okay with coming?" Logan asked as we got out of the truck.

I made Nix stay this time before shutting the door, "Yeah. I'll come. It's my turn to stand by you, Logan."

He smiled at me and wrapped an arm around my waist, pulling me to his chest, "You're an amazing woman Eva."

I smiled and pressed my lips against his. We stood in the road for just a moment before pulling away from each other.

Logan took my hand and brought it to his lips, kissing my darkening knuckles, "I'm proud of you."

I grinned as my heart swelled. I followed Logan into his apartment building and up those grueling stairs.

We made it to his apartment door and he looked at it worriedly. I squeezed his hand to remind him I was right there and he took a deep breath.

The door was unlocked and we let ourselves in. There was a pretty loud buzz from the tv as the volume was cranked up for the news station.

I looked around. The place was even more of a mess than when I had first been here. It stunk and the atmosphere felt too thick to breathe in.

I followed Logan as he walked further into the apartment. We came to the living room and paused in the doorway.

The both of us glanced at the figure in the tattered reclining chair. Logan's father sat in a slumped position. His slightly bloodshot eyes were glazed over and focused on the tv.

He was only wearing briefs, a stained wife beater, and an open flannel shirt. His hair was greasy, his face unshaven, and his beer gut was evident.

Empty bottles were scattered around his feet. I bent and picked up a red paper. An eviction warning.

"Dad," Logan said loud enough to catch his attention.

His father slowly looked over at us. He blinked a few times and took a swig of his beer, "So you came back, eh?"

Logan stepped into the living room, pulling me with him, "Yeah. And I need to talk to you about something."

"Who's that?" Mr. Easton gestured to me and ignored Logans earlier comment.

Logan let go of my hand to wrap an arm around my waist, "Dad, this is Eva. I met her the day I left. She's shown me a way to help you."

"I don't need your help," Mr. Easton snarled, rolling his eyes and dropping his empty bottle to the floor.

I flinched at the sound. Logan sighed heavily and kissed my temple, "I'll go get him some water."

"Pshh, bring me another Bud," Mr. Eason snorted.

Logan squeezed my arm gently before turning to go into the kitchen for a glass of water. I looked around nervously when I realized it was just his father and I.

I shuffled my feet awkwardly.

"So, you're the girl," Mr. Easton muttered, standing up with a grunt.

"Uh, yes sir," I nodded.

He bent over and yanked a crumpled yellow paper out from under a stack of magazines. He handed it to me and I smoothed out the wrinkles.