Chapter 15: Go Wild

"Yellow!" I screamed and punched Logan in the shoulder.

"Ow! Not fair! A semi was blocking my view," he whined unhappily, rubbing his arm.

I rolled my eyes and waved him off, "So what?"

"So it's not fair."

"Aw, is someone whining?" I leaned over towards him and pouted.

He gently pushed my face away and laughed, "So mature Eva."

Logan and I were almost to Miami. We'd left early this morning to make the ten hour drive go by quick. Mostly, it had been working.

We kept finding more things to do while we were driving. I had already written in my journal and used up all of my ideas so Logan suggested the car game.

I was winning and he didn't really like it.

We pulled over for more gas and I went inside to grab some snacks. My arms were full of chips, soda, some candy and other things I had yet to try.

I paused my scavenging when I saw a weird metal box with an old phone connected to it.

"Two more hours to go, let's do this," Logan said from behind me.

"What's that?" I asked, gesturing to the boxed phone.

"A pay phone?"

I've heard of these. I could use it.

"Can I call someone?" I mumbled quietly.

"Sure," Logan shrugged and put three quarters in my had, "It only lasts about ten minutes or so before you have to pay again."

I nodded and let him take all the stuff. I ran out to the truck and grabbed my journal. Coming back inside, I put the quarters in the slot and listened to a dial tone.

I quickly flipped my journal open and found some messy writing on a page. I pressed the numbers in on the metal number squares.

I held the phone to my ear as I waited, tapping my fingers against it impatiently, "Come on, please pick up."

"Hello?" A confused voice asked.

I nearly cried with relief, "Louise..."

"Oh my- EVA?!"

"Yeah, yeah it's me," I laughed and tried to keep myself from crying. It had been a while since we last talked. Longer than what I was used to.

"Where are you?! You parents called me and asked if you were with me or if I knew anything- where did you go?" She rambled frantically, "I can call the police-"

"No! No, Louise listen to me okay, calm down. I'm perfectly fine. In fact, I'm better than ever," I said quickly.

"What? Really? What happened?"

"Do you remember when you said I could do it?"

"Yeah?"

"Well I did, just...haphazardly. They tried to force me to marry Damien," I sighed.

"What?! Are you actually serious?"

"Yeah."

"So what happened?"

"I ran. I grabbed some stuff and ran."