Chapter 4: Runaway

I stumbled into my house and scrambled up the stairs. My vision was a blur with tears that I angrily wiped away with a growl. Fury still coursed through me.

I did everything they'd ever asked of me. I did well in my schooling, I got straight A's. I paid attention to their rules, I rarely argued with them.

I wore the dresses and put on the makeup. I put up with the rude children of rich parents. I took the elegance class. I crossed my fucking ankles. I smiled. I pretended.

Everything.

And this is what they did to me. They try to use me as a contract liability. They try to hand me over to a man who I don't know without letting me have a say. They were so wrapped up in what they wanted, they didn't care about what I wanted.

I can't wait until my birthday, that's too far away right now, I can't do it.

I slammed into my room and grabbed a big backpack. Shoving clothes I knew I'd need into the bag, I took my time knowing my parents would still be at the restaurant, apologizing for me.

There again, doing things for me. That I didn't want to happen. I will never apologize for fighting for a say in my life.

Over the years I'd accumulated a bountiful amount of clothes that I had secretly stocked up on for places I had wanted to go to. Casual stuff that regular people wore for daily things.

Hoodies and everyday clothes I'd snuck in with the unrestricted amount of shopping I was allowed to do.

I shoved all I could into my bag. Then the essentials. I left all of my designer clothes and felt like burning them. Yanking off my heels, I put on a pair of sneakers I had only wore around my room.

I didn't have time to change my clothes though. I yanked on a jean jacket with cloth sleeves and pulled my hair up haphazardly.

I dropped my very heavy bag and ran to my bed, getting on the floor. Pulling out my leather journal from underneath my bed, I opened it up.

Flinging my shutters open, I started ripping down my pictures and stuffing them into the journal pages.

I stood on my bed and pulled those pictures down too. What wouldn't fit in the journal, I carefully bundled together and put in my bag.

I tucked away my journal. Running out of my room, I went to my fathers office. I removed a picture from the wall and found the safe behind.

Putting in the combination, I opened the door and snatched out three stacks of money. Each stack had five thousand dollars rubber banned together.

I hid them in my bag amongst my clothes. Putting the picture back, I made sure it looked untouched.

I grabbed a random paper off his desk and flipped it over to the blank side. In angry, messy handwriting I wrote, Not your puppet, no longer your daughter.

I took his silver envelope opening knife and turned around, viciously stabbing it through the paper and pinning it to my fathers office door, splintering the wood and chipping the paint. It was an obvious message.

He would know how pissed I am. He and my mother both.

I hurried back to my room and glanced around.

Snatching my phone up off my bed, I found the only number I wanted to remember and scribbled it down.

Putting my phone on silent, I tossed it into a drawer and left my room with my bag. They couldn't track me with no phone and no credit card trail. I can disappear without a trace.