Chapter 10: How I Like It

I untied my hair as we walked and fixed my vest. Although I was free of my mothers controlling behaviors, I was still trained into having habits. That bugged me.

I caught up to Logan and walked alongside him, shoving my hands in my pockets to keep them warm.

"I didn't think it would be so cool by the beach," I said as the breeze picked up a little.

Logan shrugged, "Sometimes its like this. It was actually better. Sitting out in that boat with the sun on us would've sucked."

I nodded in agreement. We came to the park and started walking under the shade of some trees.

The wind blew my hair straight into my eyes and I tossed it out of my face in annoyance.

"Whoo, yeah! I know what I would do with that long blonde hair!"

Logan stopped walking and yanked me to a halt. I looked over my shoulder stiffly at a group of guys who were all perched on a bench in the shade.

They snickered like village idiots and I made a face. Why did guys think it was okay to just shout out things like that? It's so rude.

"Aw cmon doll face, don't do that, you'll ruin the scenery," The second guy called out.

I blinked at him, unsure of what to say.

"She's not your scenery to look at, back off," Logan said lowly next to me, surprising me.

The first guy raised an eyebrow and stood up lazily, walking towards us. I backed away slightly but Logan refused to move. We watched him pull a cigarette out of his pocket and light it, taking a puff to blow the smoke into Logan's face.

Logan squinted at the man and his jaw clenched.

I held onto Logans sleeve as I watched his right hand curl into a fist.

"Or what?" The man sneered at Logan.

Logan took a step forward to get in the guys face, "Or I'll take that damn thing and make you eat it."

His voice was a deep, threatening growl.

Logan easily plucked the cigarette out of the guys hand and flicked it at him, sprinkling ash across his face. The dude snorted and reared back, "The fuck?! Whatever man, get out of here."

Logan glared at the guy but turned to me and wound an arm around my waist, pulling me with him. There again with my theory.

"Sorry, those guys are douches," Logan said to me after a little bit.

"It's okay," I smiled at him.

He shook his head, "Its not. It's annoying and degrading."

"Were you going to fight him?" I asked cautiously.

"I would have."

"Oh..."

So Logan wasn't afraid to fight. That scared me a little, but it also made me feel safe. I suddenly noticed we were still walking with his arm around my waist and blushed.

"Uh, here," I said awkwardly, hurrying away from Logan and over to a grill.

"Still has come coal, awesome," he smiled and pulled a little compartment out.