Chapter 5: Breakfast

Logan and I left the Statue of Liberty after returning the keycard to the snoozing guard. We slipped out of the main entrance before the guard woke up.

I'm sure the cameras caught us, but we didn't disturb a thing.

I followed Logan down to the docks and he led me to a little boat named Luanna.

"Why were you here anyway?" I asked.

He jumped into the boat and started it, holding out his hand, "All I wanted was some early morning pictures without anyone around."

I took his hand and he helped me into the boat, "Sorry I ruined your photos."

He grinned, "You made them better."

I blushed and sat down on a seat and Logan untied the rope. He sat in the drivers seat and we went back to the mainland.

I enjoyed the wind in my hair, even if it did make me shiver.

We made it back to the marina and Logan docked his boat. He offered to carry my bag and I let him. I already could tell I liked Logan as a person. He was such a gentleman.

He opened the door to an older red truck, a different sight to see in New York, and I hopped inside.

"Where to?" I asked him.

Logan pursed his lips thoughtfully, "How about IHOP?"

IHOP, not fancy or expensive. I grinned, "Sounds perfect."

We chatted about how the Statue of Liberty should probably have better security on the way to the diner and laughed about how Logan nearly fell into the water when he first docked.

He opened my door for me when we got to IHOP and I grabbed my bag so I could change. This dress was a little too breezy for 8:30 in the morning.

We got a booth and sat down, picking up our menus. I stuffed my bag in the space next to me.

"What can I get you?" An older woman asked, smiling at us as she held a pen and notepad.

"I'll just get a raspberry crepe with scrambled eggs and orange juice please," I said and handed her my menu.

"Stack of pancakes, fried eggs, sausage and bacon with water please," Logan said politely.

The woman nodded and left with our orders.

"So Eva, where are you going?" Logan gestured to my bag.

I chewed my lip, wondering if I could trust him with my plan, "Well, I have a list.."

"A list," he repeated, raising an eyebrow interestedly. His genuine interest and kind eyes got to me. The longer we talked the more I trusted him.

"Yeah, I have this thing about all these places I've wanted to go. I just had to do something first, sort of," I twiddled with my fingers distractedly.

"Really? What was that?"

".....Runaway from home," I mumbled.

I spared a glance at Logan and was expecting shock when really, I saw admiration. And shock, but mostly admiration.

"Why did you want to do that? Your life can't be totally terrible," he asked. There it was, the you're such a brat.

"You don't understand," I said quietly as I tried to figure out how to not sound like a brat, "I don't like the life of my parents. I don't...I don't fit in. My parents are money loving, job absorbed people who I don't even want to know. They tried to marry me off to some jackass who's only concerned about whether the sun rises and sets in his ass or not...I just...I couldn't do it anymore. I wanted to run and travel and they wanted me to lead a company, I don't want that. I can't be them."