Chapter 45: Arrival

"You two be careful on the road okay? Fourth of July coming up, many are going to be traveling like you guys," Louise warned.

She wrapped her house coat around herself in the early morning chill, watching us worriedly.

"We'll be fine LuLu. Our interstate experience is perfect," I grinned at her, leaning in for a tight hug.

She sighed into my hair and nodded, "You call me if you need anything, alright? Someone to talk to, a place to stay, anything."

Logan gave Louise a quick hug too, thanking her for the good food and comfy bed that she'd lent us.

It was six o'clock in the morning and Logan and I were headed off towards New York.

With one final wave from Louise, we were gone. I was upset I didn't have more time with my best friend but it wasn't like I couldn't see her again.

We'd be back and I knew it.

Logan was hyped on some of the coffee he favored from Louise's and I slowly woke up in the seat next to him.

I began to play with my phone as boredom took over. I had Logan and I as the lock screen and then Louise and I's selfie as the home screen.

Fiddling with everything and the apps to my own customization was rather fun. My mother had set up my old phone and I appreciated that I had my own freedom with this one.

Logan and I were set to drive more than eight hours today. We were going to cut down as many hours as we could.

He said he'd drive today so I figured it was only fair if I took over tomorrow. We'd be somewhere near New York before nightfall. There was plenty of time to eat and get settled at some hotel.

The drive was more boring than usual. It was because we weren't headed toward some new adventure, we were going home.

It was to face the stuff we'd been avoiding for nearly a month. I wasn't sure what to write in my journal other than my uncertainty.

I didn't know how to approach my parents on this. My hope was that they'd both be working and I'd have a clear getaway. I could leave another note.

Logan and I chattered about random stuff, neither of us excited about heading back to where we escaped just weeks ago.

We avoided the subject almost entirely. I used the data on my phone to search for a nice hotel to stay at. I could splurge on this very last one, for fun.

I new most of the nice hotels near New York but I needed something to mess with.

Nix snoozed in the back, peacefully unaware of what was happening. I almost wished I could be her instead of me, she had nothing to worry about.

My parents would just die if I brought an animal home with me. Good thing I don't plan on staying.

We stopped for some lunch just after noon, avoiding the lunch rush and the thickest traffic as best we could.

I sipped an iced coffee and nibbled on a Panera sandwich while Logan finished off a big salad.

We were back on the road not too long after and I stared out the window, Nix sitting in my lap to have a look too.

As soon as it started to become dusk, I directing Logan to an exit to the hotel I'd picked. He was yawning and I was starting to get sleepy myself.

We checked ourselves in at the hotel and carried some stuff up. There was no use binging a bunch of bags, we were leaving in the morning.

Instead of going out for food, Logan and I decided to just eat in the dining room at the hotel. It was nice and lavish with expensive food but I didn't mind.