Chap 23

3rd pers pov

Kyle sat in a chair, leaning over a patient's bed. This patient happened to be Miela. He held her left hand clasped between his own firmly but softly, and gazed down at her peaceful face. The pack doctor had successfully removed all the poison a day ago and now everything was up to his mate.

Her eyes were closed and slow breathing sounds escaped her mouth which was opened a centimetre. It had seemed like an eternity to him since the doctor had allowed him to enter the room but he was thankful she was alive.

Kyle had ran all the way to the pack house, the day before. "Kyle ran like 100 lions were chasing him as soon as he picked up Miela but being careful not to jostle her. She had fallen unconscious after healing Justin. Kyle had once again wished he had the speed of a werecat like his mate but he was a werewolf and there was nothing he could do about it.

Kyle made it to the pack house in ten minutes flat, kicking open the front door with his right foot and startling everyone in the room. They looked from him to the limp figure in his arms, as he paused to catch his breath, and gasped.

The pack doctor, Marnie, was summoned and Miela was carried to the little doctor's office and gently layed on the bed. "She had poison injected into her," the alpha said hurriedly, fishing out the vial from his pocket. Marnie snatched it from him, mumbling a sorry alpha as she scanned the label on the syringe vial.

Marnie ran into a smaller, conjoined room to do some tests and came back out about two minutes later with a serious face. "Luna has been injected with strychnine, alpha," Marnie said with utmost seriousness. "This can be very fatal for her. How long was it injected?"

"About a half an hour ago," alpha Kyle stated hurriedly, wondering why if it was so fatal, why she hadn't started to do anything yet.

Marnie nodded writing down things on her little notepad. "Thankfully since she is human, I can finish removing the poison with adequate time to spare," Marnie said. "But you will have to-

"Actually," Kyle said not wanting to say it but wanting to say it at the same time. "Miela isn't human. She's a werecat."

Marnie nearly dropped her notepad as her eyes widened. "Why didn't you say so sooner, alpha," she exclaimed, reprimanding him and pushing him out the room, and calling out to her assistant, Kathy, who came running. "We must hurry if she is to live. If it is as you say, then there is only half an hour left." Kyle was pushed forward out as the shock entered his brain. The office door slammed behind him and the lock clicked in place.

While Marnie and Kathy busied away grabbing cable tubes, bottles and the like, Kyle sat in the sofa with his head in his hands. No one spoke, not a sound was made, even the winds had stopped.

Chad came into the living room, along with Hayden when they had heard the usual noise of the pack house had dissipated into thin air. When they saw their alpha with his head in his hands, they walked up to him. 

"Hey man," Chad said softly, quite unusual for him. "What happened? Why is in here so quiet?"

Kyle looked up at him, finally coming out of his shock and noticing the silent atmosphere. Then water welled up in his eyes but they didn't fall. He looked back down again and finally answered. "Its Miela," he replied in a soft tone. "She was poisoned, and has only half an hour to live, unless Marnie and her assistant can do something."

Chad gasped," Well, at least she is human-

"She's a werecat," Kyle interrupted him, which in turn emitted gasps from everyone in the room. "And werecats tend to heal rather quickly." The room went silent yet again and fear could be felt around the room.