Chap 24

Miela pov

My eyes gradually opened adjusting to the bright light. I felt pressure on my right hand and turned my head to see my one and only mate, Kyle, sitting down in a chair next to the bed with his eyes closed, in a peaceful slumber. A smile spread across my face as I took the chance to actually gaze at his features, carving every detail with an imaginary finger.

Pulling my eyes away, I looked to the ceiling and uncountable questions entered my head. How long was I out? What happened to Carla and Veronica? Were their bodies left in the same locations? What happened to Justin? Did he heal like Carla had told me? Did Kyle even accept me now?

The last one had me swallowing hard and fear dominated me for a moment. What if he didn't like me anymore? But he didn't say any negative thing when he told me that Mari had told him. But he could have been hiding it? I sighed, letting out a good set of air. I was sure he would wake up but he remained sleeping.

I looked over at him in defeat. Well, I would deserve it anyways. I mean, I practically ignored his existence, shut off the mate bond and covered my scent ever since I saw him. I should just pack up quietly and go. No one is going to want me here anymore. The thought brought tears to my eyes but I quickly wiped them off with my free hand.

I sat up in bed, swinging my feet over the side that Kyle was on. I had fully intended to slip my hand through his, grab a few belongings and disappear but unfortunately, luck wasn't on my side as Kyle immediately woke up from the slight pull.

He opened his eyes and looked down at the pillow where my head had been, then followed my hand to my body then to my eyes and his eyes widened. "Miela?" he asked, to make sure. Make sure what? I haven't a clue. "Miela! You woke up!"

Releasing my hand, he moved to hug me, and I let him, but I didn't move a muscle. Realising this he unhugged (is that even a word?)me and sat back down in the chair a bit saddened. I looked away from his face, deciding the ocean blue wall, looked more interesting.

"Miela?" Kyle called softly and I glanced at him for a moment, before looking back at the wall again. "Did you mean what you said, before you-" He sounded reluctant to say the word. "-died."

I said nothing for a bit, thinking perhaps that he wanted me to say no. "I guess not then," he muttered sadly.

"I do," I replied in a tiny voice, which I could hardly hear myself. I looked across at Kyle who had a shocked expression, unsurety edged into it. 

"Could you say that a bit louder?" he asked still unsure. "I don't think I heard you." Why did it feel like that question ended with 'right.'

"I do," I said a bit louder but he heard and I looked down. His sudden movements made me flinch. I was sure that I was going to be hit just now. Oh shush, Kyle is caring. He isn't like that. I mentally groaned in annoyance at the little angel and evil me.

"What do you think, Trina?" I asked her.

"I think that you should wait and see what happens and accept it," Trina said softly. Once again, she gave me good advice and I smiled giving her a hug. She was still soar from the poison but was otherwise well and dandy.

I heard Kyle come and sit next to me and I went back to the outside world. He turned my face in his direction. "What's wrong?" he asked concerned. "Am I making you nervous? I don't want to be doing that." 

I searched his blue pupils for any untruth but it was all concern and sadness. I shook my head. "Its nothing," I softly replied, still wary of him.

He bent down kissing me but I pulled away, turning my head. "What is it now?" Kyle said exasperated and I flinched. "Sorry, but I don't understand you Miela. Do you mean it or not? Those six words you told me before you died keep echoing in my mind. 'I'm sorry but I love you' was what you whispered to me. What were you sorry for?"