{2}The Bet

Landon-

"You're kidding right?" I stare in disbelief at my best friend and Beta.

"Nope, serious as a heart attack." Gansey Winfrey smirks at me as if what he just said hadn't been the craziest thing ever.

"You want to bet over my mate?" I scoff.

"Ex-mate. You rejected her remember?" He counters.

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean I should take her back." I reply with an eye roll.

"Temporarily take her back. Only for one month," He wagers with an excited look on his gleeful face.

"What will I get in return?" I question him.

"The keys to my Lambo." He smirks once again.

"What? Seriously?" I question him in disbelief. He really had gone crazy. Winfrey had never let me drive his Lambo before. Ever. I was lucky to get into the car. But, behind the steering wheel? That had to be the first time anyone had driven it before Winfrey himself.

"As my second heart attack." He confirms with a nod.

"Deal." I reach my hand out for him to shake and he takes it without hesitation.

"To clarify, you get one month to have Bella believing you're mates, and her to be in love with you," He nods.

"Agreed." I grin.

That Monday at school, I followed Bella's scent through the school to find her talking to an unmated theta named Henry. I involuntarily growl in annoyance and slam my hand in front of her face. I lean against the locker and smile even though I know she can't see it.

"Hey, it's me, Alpha Landon." I touch her arm, expecting her to spook.

"I know." She says with a shrug of her shoulders, effectively knocking my hand off of her.

"I wanted to apologize for that day. I know you don't believe me but it was best for both of us, at that time." I smile and for the first time, I see her eye colors. Surprisingly one eye is green and one is baby blue. I wasn't expecting this, so I take a few moments to appreciate them.

"Accepted, excuse me, I've gotta get to class. See you around, Alpha." And with that, She loops her arm around Henry's and let's him and the dog steer her towards wherever her next class is. I am in a complete state of shock. This is the second time she has totally blown me off!
Not only that but for a teenage male. I growl a little as she walks off.

Although, her spunky nature is a bit of a turn on. To bad she's blind, seriously. As I make my way to AP English 3, just cause I was an alpha doesn't mean that I'm dumb, I feel someone's gaze on me. I swivel around and upon not seeing anyone, turn around a bit paranoid. Weird.

Sitting through English 3 was like torture, minutes to days and seconds to hours. The sounds of my peers thumping their pencils, clicking their pens, and tapping their heels filled my ears. It was extremely aggravating and frustrated me to the nine's. When the door suddenly opened, it was like I was snapped from a trance. In walked a dazed Bella, her forehead covered in a sheen of sweat and her dog no where to be seen. The teacher and her shared a few hushed words, and the teacher nodded. Bella turned and I noticed her usual glasses were gone, sending the formerly hushed classroom into a scattered amount of whispers. While Bella navigated her way towards her seat, apparently right in front of me, she accidentally bumped into a students' desk. I chuckled lightly, not in a teasing manner. However, when the rest of the class laughed loudly and snorted, it made me want to growl at them. It sounded like they were making fun of her, but it's not like she could help it! I forced myself not to, after all, why should I care anyways?

When English 3 was finally over, I found myself sitting in the front office, waiting to get my schedule fit in with Bella's. It wasn't a question of could, but one of would. I made things happen around here, even the teachers knew that. The rest of the day until lunch flew by, and I was debating whether to sit with Bella. I mean, not that I liked her or anything, but I wanted to drive the Lambo. More than anything.

So I started towards her, Winfrey giving me a thumbs up. Seated around Bella were Lacey Pond, Trey Walker, Ophelia Walker, and Aspen O'neal. I didn't necessarily know any of the four, but all of them were mediocre students here. None of them really worth my time.

Until the day they decided to be Bella's friends.

I plopped down in one of the two remaining seats in their booths, fortunately it was right beside Bella. I could tell over a third of the cafeteria's inhabitants were staring at us, at me. Like usual, I payed them no heed.

"Hey Bella." I smiled, nudging her. The facial expression played over her was nothing less than the equivalent of eating a sour lemon. Bella nodded in my direction, turning about in her seated position. And then, the unthinkable happened.

She completely ignored me! Just went back to talking with her friends, though a little more on edge. A frown threatened my lips, the rejection sending my wheeling. How could she just ignore me like I wasn't even there in the first place?

"I said hi." I grunted, my voice clearly revealing my annoyed tone.

"I nodded back in acknowledgement, all that needed to be done." She responded blankly, shrugging her shoulders as if it were as simple as that.

"Whatever." I sighed, leaning forward to grab a fry off her tray. Before I made it within an inch of her tray, a small hand reached out to snatch mine away from her food. I knew it was Bella from the warmth growing around the area her hand had touched.

"Wow, quick reflexes for someone that's legally blind." I shrugged, not realizing how insulting that could be.

She stiffened, and the whole table fell quite while I munched on an apple in complete ignorant bliss. Suddenly Bella's hands were on my shoulders, then my face. I thought at the time Bella would try and kiss me. Boy was this a surprise. Keeping her left hand on the right side of my face, she brought her right hand up and slammed it down on my face. I didn't turn away from the impact, but I won't lie, it hurt like a bitch.

"Now listen here, Alpha. I don't care if you insult me because I'm blind. Or make fun of me, or even bully me. I don't even care if you rejected me. But you do NOT assume just because of my injury I can't fend for myself. I've had to deal with Jackass's like you for years'. With their self righteous virtues on the strong always prevailing, and the defective always failing. But you know what, you can take your values and shove them up your ass. Because I know you aren't even close to being on my level." Bella snarled, rising to her feet and dumping the remainder of her tray all over my lap.

She walked away, leaving me and the entire cafeteria stunned and completely confused.

What the hell had just happened?