{20}Hero

Dedicated to @supernovass
Because her covers inspired me to write this chapter. Go check out her books and cover work please!

P.S, I'm on my phone so I won't be able to actually dedicate the chapter until I log into my laptop.

Landon Parker

Running like a mad man, I followed the dog through the town. His paws thundering across the town square matched my heartbeat reverberating through my ears. The leash around the dogs neck dragged behind him on the ground, and I struggled to grab hold of it.

The dog- who I recognized immediately as Bella's- had found me at the local cafe, frantically pulling on my pant leg. I've been following him for about two minutes since.

When we finally stopped running and I watched as he ran up to a group of pack members around our age. I recognized one as Jared Eisler, one of my old buddy's on the football team. I stared in confusion as Alex ran across the bank- straight towards the group.

"Landon!"

I froze as the bone chilling scream filled the air. It was only then I saw the form in the water- just for a moment. But I recognized those locks of hair instantly.

They belonged to my mate.

"NO!" I shouted, my feet carrying me towards the bank before I could even compute what was going on. This feels like deja vu-
n

o, this felt like the day I found
Bella trying to kill herself in that bedroom.

It felt lile slow motion, but took span over the matter of a few seconds. My feet were kicking up sand as I barreled towards the group. Jared turned to me in confusion, opening his mouth to question me. I shoved past him, snapping at him as I did. No time to punish him now, I had to save her. I scanned the water's surface for any sign of her body, but came up empty. Not wasting another second, I dove in after her. The surface kissed my skin with coldness- it was unforgiving and it chilled me to the bone. We were coming up on november now, and the weather had already dropped to freezing temperatures. I glided through the waters currents, thrashing about wildly. I was beginning to lose all hope of ever finding my mate, when my foot kicked onto something solid and unmoving on the bottom of the lake. I hurriedly seam back up for one last breath before making my way to the same location. I fumbled in the dirt before my hand clasped something that highly resembled a hand. I gathered Bella's body in my arms and kicked off the surface, pushing with my last amounts of energy till I breached the surface. I gulped in air and yelled for help, trying desperately to get Bella's body on the dock. When no one tried helping me I realised that the cowardly group had fled. I desperately clung to the dock, pulling myself up after her. I examined her entire body, cringing when I cane across the bruise blossoming on her face and the oddly shaped wrist bone.
Her skin was already greenish and her lips were a violent, angry shade of purple. I growled under my breath and thanked my lucky stars that Alpha training was one of the classes I had paid attention to. It included a basic medical course- which meant I had learned CPR. I pushed my hands on her chest, throwing my legs over her waist.

"Come on," I grunted, holding her nose and pressing my lips to hers. In other circumstances, I would have enjoyed the feeling. But now my mind was a mess, and Bella still wasn't breathing. I continued this cycle for two more minutes with no response.

"Come On!" I shouted loudly, bringing my two hands together on her chest one last time. Her body came alive, spit and water flying out from wherever it has been lodged in Bella's throat. She started coughing up violent, hacking, rattling coughs. I breathed a sigh of relief and gathered her up in my arms, pressing her to my body and trying to spread warmth into her limbs. She didn't fight me on it, letting me hold her even closer to me.

"Landon?" Bella asked, her voice a harsh whisper as she called out for me. I took her hand in my hand and rubbed the cold fingers between mine, blowing on them.

"You'd be correct," I whispered back, still in shock from the events over the last ten minutes.
Yes, I, the great Alpha's son, was rattled to the core. I had almost lost her, Bella. I decided right then that Winfrey has been absolutely right. The girl had grown on me.

Bella's sudden sobs snapped me right out of my thoughts. I looked over her in alarm.

"What's the matter? Are you hurt?"

No sooner had those words come out of my mouth did Bella throw herself around me, burrowing her head in my neck and full blown crying.

"I- I thought that I wa-was going t-to die out th-there!" Bella sniffled, stuttering through her words.

"I ca-called for y-you and you came. Th-thank y-you L-landon," Bella finished, pulling back. She felt around on my face until she came across my stubble covered cheeks. She then placed her lips on my jaw bone.

I know that she only meant it as a sign of gratitude, but the simple gesture sent me soaring.

"I'm so sorry Bella, those... Those cowards will never hurt you again. I swear," I growled, pulling her body to me again and standing up. I carried her like my bride, her arms around my neck and her head on my chest. She didn't even protest, she just let me hold her.

I carried her all the way to the pack doctor, and all the way to her bed. Bella never let me go once, and I didn't set her down until I was sure she was safe and sound in her bed.

With the promise of returning later, I set out to finish some urgent business.

***

"Jared Eisler, Vanessa Warren, and Caitlin Gerard, you have all committed treason of the utmost level. You have harmed a fellow pack member without motive, namely my mate and your future Luna," I snarled, the three of them tied in front of me bringing back my anger. With it came a sense of dominance and pride. The beast inside of me was howling, snapping and growling to taste the blood of those who hurt her. Who hurt my mate.

Yes, I had initially been stupid and rejected her. No longer would I ignore my affection for the beautiful Bella. I would accept her as my mate, and hopefully she will take me back. I have caused her pain, and for that I will be eternally damaged. I will only hope and pray Bella will accept me as well.

The two girls were untouched- even in this state the human side of me was honorable enough to not touch the females. They may have been royal brats and pests, but I hadn't touched a hand on their head.

I didn't need to. The rogues would handle that.

Jared on the other hand was a different story. His right eyes was purple and his nose was very noticeably broken in several places. His wrist was snapped, just like he'd snapped Bella's. And I may - or may not - have subtly or, not so subtly kicked him in a very sensitive area a few times.

"As punishment, you will be banished from the Equinox pack, forever!"

A/N

Not sure if I named the pack but, there you go. Equinox just sounds like a really cool pack name lol. So, Landon happened to save the day didn't he?

Can't say I'm not proud of thus chapter. May have been the best one yet. We saw a lot of character development and Landon finally realised his hearts true intentions. Even though Bella did almost die to notice it lol. Thanks for the reads, as always.

Don't forget to....

FAN
VOTE
COMMENT
BANNER

(By the way, I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF CPR.)