{12}Two Steps Backwards

Landon Parker

Two hours after the accident- and I still wasn't allowed to see Bella. I wasn't thinking about my four broken ribs or my concussion and the six stitches that came with it.

No, I was thinking about her. A million questions fluttered past my eyelids every time I blinked. Was she alright? How badly injured was she? And my personal favorite- This is all my fault isn't it?

I ran my good hand to run my fingers through my sweat drenched hair just as the doctor stepped into my room. He cut me off before I could question anything.

"She's fine alpha. Miraculously, she got off with only a few minor injuries. Her leg is broken and her whole body is pretty banged up. She has a minor concussion but it's really nothing to worry about." Doctor Scott chuckled, a kind twinkle in his eyes. Scott had been a resident doctor for this towns hospital since before I was even born. He was probably close to retiring.

My mouth parted as relief washed over me. She was fine- Bella was safe. I don't know what I would have done with myself if she had been injured.

"Of course, she is going to heal much slower than the average female werewolf. Her wolf has been missing since- well since the accident." Doctor Scott sighed, flopping into a chair. This bit of information piqued my interest.

"Accident?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow at the doctor. His eyes widened at his slip up and he stammered for word.

"Psh, accident? Whaaat?" He waved a hand and tried to brush me off. It didn't work.

"Tell me what you know."

He still looked wary, so I turned to my last resort.

"Please?" I pleaded, wanting him to just spill the beans already.

"Fine, but I don't know much." Doctor Scott finally caved.

"It happened about... Oh I don't know three- four years ago? Do you remember Leah Martin?"

My eyes widened at the mention of the name. Everyone in our pack knew about Leah Martin. She was an omega in our pack that went missing. Rumor had it that she was captured and killed by rogues.

"You don't mean...?"

"No, I don't. There was another girl captured- one that was kept secret. That girl was Bella Jones. She showed up after three months of being held captive. The only reason I know is because I was the doctor to treat her wounds. The scars that girl suffered- both mentally and physically, are the worst I've ever seen." Doctor Scott explained, shaking his head in sadness. My heart clenched as he went on.

"She wouldn't talk for months after that. The only thing she said when we found her was 'Please Save her.' She didn't cry, she didn't move. She just sat there. Over 60% of her body was covered in scars. The worst part was when her parents found out she was blind and couldn't shift. They basically abandoned the poor girl. She's been by herself for three years, all alone in the darkness." Doctor Scott finished.

My heart stopped beating and guilt grabbed me by the shoulders. It had sunk his teeth in me. I should have known. It gnawed its way into me. I couldn't get attached. I have to finish this stupid bet quickly- I cannot afford to invest in this relationship any more than I already have.

17 Days- it's all I have left.

Suddenly the door opened and Bella was wheeled in by a male nurse. I recognized him as one of my distant cousins. He was only half wolf so he couldn't shift until he found his mate. Tyler Locke.

He smiled as Bella laughed at something he said. I rolled my eyes in annoyance- whatever he said couldn't be that funny.

"Tyler. I didn't know you worked here." I furrowed my brow at him and glanced between him and Bella.

"I just started actually. My first day." Tyler smiled, his oh so friendly attitude getting on my nerves.

"Bella." I called her out, turning my attention on her. Her smile slid off her face and she glared slightly in my direction. Her arms crossed over the blue hospital gown and I gulped.

"Alpha." She growled.

"Why do I feel like your mocking me?" I sighed, resting my head in the pillow.

"I can't believe you forced me on that bike and then ran a stop sign you jerk!" Bella snapped, and her pale eyes gleaned in fury.

"I don't suppose saying I'm sorry fixes anything?" I chuckled darkly. She only scoffed in response.

"You wound me Jones." I laughed, peeking at her with one eye. Her own staring right at me. Not that she would know that.

"No, you wound you. And me for that matter!" Bella grumbled, laying her head on the rest. Tyler snorts at her word play and I give him the stink eye.

"Whatever. How's Tyson?" I inquired to my cousin. Tyson was his four year old little brother- and he was absolutely adorable. His eyes were two different colors- one green and one blue. Tyson had chubby cheeks and heartbreaking looks. Actually, pretty much a carbon copy of his elder brother.

"He's the same as usual. He started preschool this year. Smartest little kid I've ever seen." Tyler chuckled, shaking his head in amusement at whatever memories he's conjuring up of the little trouble maker.

"Well Kiddys, Tyler and I have to go smooth things over with the human doctors. Bella and Landon, you two rest up for a few hours and I'll get someone to drive you home around five." Doctor Scott announced, basically dragging Tyler out behind him. The door shut with a quiet whoosh. Bella and I sat in silence for a good minute before I decided to break the silence.

"Why did you leave so early this morning and skip school?" I question her curiously.

"Why did you?" She retaliated. I had left her alone this morning so I could attend a meeting over the colossal increase of rogue attacks lately. I cringe at the anger in her voice anyways.

"Good point. Look, I said sorry didn't I?"

She doesn't answer me. Instead she chooses to ignore my existence for the next ten minutes. I try repeatedly to get her attention with failure. Realizing that whatever I tried wasn't working, I decided to try a different approach. Hardly noticing the pain in my side, I quietly stalked towards where she sat in the chair.

Finally close enough, I grabbed her upper arm. Instantly a scream ripped through the air. My eyes widened in surprise. Only when I retracted my hands from her body did she stop screaming.

It finally clicked- was this some sick version of the silent treatment?

Turns out- it was. For the next hour and a half she refused to talk to me, move, or even eat for that matter. And that's saying something because her stomach was beginning to growl almost as loud as my wolf could.

How come for every step I take forwards, she pulls back three more?

Hellooooo. I known this one is considerably shorter, but i don't have my laptop with me... I figured that it was better to post SOMETHING than NOTHING right?

.....Right?

So, we got a little insight on her backstory huh? I van to believe we're already on chapter twelve. Wow. Only around 24 more to go.. Lol.

Thanks for reading guys.

Hugs and kisses.

Love you.

Vote
Comment
Fan
Share