{17}The Voicemail

Marie Avgeropoulus
as
Bella

Bella Jones

Clutching my hair in my hands, I let a sob escape from my parted lips. Saliva flew everywhere, but I didn't care anymore. I couldn't.

Yesterday was the worst I had received before now.

It had only been two weeks- yet I felt a year older. Every passing minute my resolve to escape slipped away. And so did the hope someone would find me.

She was gone. My friend was really gone. My sister, my best friend. My Leah.

The sound of a door opening and slamming had me pushed further against the door. His scent washed over me- the repulsive smell of oil and sweat. His heavy footsteps came closer and closer until he was only about two feet away. He took those two steps slower and slower towards me until he grabbed me arm and lifted me up under his weight.

"No, stay back! Get away from me!" I shouted, thrashing and convulsing underneath his arms.

"Bella." He cooed, running his grungy claws over my grimy face.

"I hate you! My family will find me! And when they do, you'll be a dead man!" I screeched. That earned me a punch to the gut.

"Can it, sweetie. You're mine."

I shot up like a rocket from my sweat covered mattress. The memories that haunted me somewhat disappeared over time, but they still happened. We never did catch him- and it was still a mystery how I escaped that day.

I felt the bile rising in my throat and stumbled towards the bathroom. The familiar burning tingle in the back of my throat grew until I couldn't stand it anymore.

I must have sat in the bathroom for over two hours, because by the time the staff found me it was time for school.

We were parked outside the doors and I couldn't shake the feeling something bad was going to happen today. My feelings were pretty much always spot on. Despite my earnest feelings- I carefully put both feet on the ground and allow Mr. Kim to pull me up.

I didn't really need Alexander to show me to class because my friends would usually walk me- so I left him at home.

Lacey walked me to first period even though it made her a little tardy. I liked Lacey, she was always nice to me and I could tell that we'd probably become close friends at this rate. And that's what scared me- attachment. I couldn't afford getting close to anyone else.

Not after Leah.

As we neared first period- his scent invaded my nostrils. Landon smelled extra nice today. Stetson cologne was wrapped through his regular woodsy scent. I love Stetson.

I suddenly groaned aloud- I really needed to stop thinking about him. I thought about his laugh, his electrifying touch, his (occasional) kindness, and about the fact that we have a study date tonight.

Oh crap, we do have a study date tonight.

We walked into the room and my cheeks flamed- all the chatter had stopped. I know the teacher wouldn't say anything about our tardiness. Sometimes I wished he would.

Suddenly another hand gently pulled me away from Lacey- and the familiar sparks I felt when he was near me started to fan out.

"I got her." Landon said, pulling me towards a desk. I could tell Lacey wasn't happy about this by her aggravated growl. I myself- swooned. His small kind gestures made my heart ache. Maybe I could have this- something that would slightly resemble a teenage relationship. But then I remembered that he had rejected me. As his soul mate, and all the hope washes away from me.