Idol Promotions

My feet ached with every step I took as I ran in every direction I was called into. I started the day in an acceptable form but now my hair was tied in a messy bun, my t-shirt had coffee stain and God knows how tired my face looked.

Promoting a song was like the worst phase and though fans loved every stage but it was difficult to keep up with the task. Promotions included dances, reality shows, events, fan meets, talk shows and sometimes surprise local visits as well. And all this was tiring for both artists and the staff which in this case was me.

I had more than a month holiday left and I was not fired from the job so I knew I would be the co-manager till my holidays were not over.

Since morning boys had a talk show, a radio show, another talk show and now there were promoting their new single on another channel so the practice was going on. It was one in the morning and boys still seemed energetic enough.

I was sitting down after hours of running errands as they practised. Pulling my knees close to my chest I rested my head on my knees. For some reason, I started thinking about Camilla who was supposed to be my sister but all she did was demean me and walked away like I was not worth her time. I thought about my father who didn't even bother to meet me not because he didn't love me because my existence didn't even matter.

Maybe the tiredness got to me or maybe I was just stressed but I suddenly felt the tears flow from my eyes.

"Zee?" I heard the concerned tone and lifted up my head to find Ross.

I wiped off my tears hurriedly feeling embarrassed.

"What's wrong?" He asked sitting down next to me on the floor.

"Nothing."

He gave me the don't lie-to-me indignant look.

"I like you more than her, by the way," Ross said casually looking straight ahead like he was thinking something.

"Yeah sure," I mumbled to myself pretty sure that he was consoling me.

"You guys really have a tough job," I said trying to change the topic.

He smiled and nodded.

We just sat in silence for a while and it was comfortable.

His phone buzzed in the silence but he didn't move to respond.

"My mother probably." He answered my unasked question.

I nodded not sure what else to say.

"Answer it for me, will you?" He handed me his phone.

"And what should I say?"

"That I am busy." I felt the sadness in his words.

"Hello," I answered and the woman on the other end gushed with relief.

"Ross, how are you?" She asked.

Clearing my throat I answered," Sorry Ma'am, but Ross is busy. Do you need to leave a message?"

All this while Ross just stared at the wall in front of us.

"Oh, okay. Tell him..." She stopped for a while and then said, "Never mind. I will call later."

She hung up and heavy air of awkwardness formed between us.

"She misses you," I told him.

Yes, it was a lie and she didn't tell me that. But the desperation in her tone said everything.

"She said that?" He turned to look at me with a shocked look.

"Hmm," I said avoiding looking at his eyes.