» author's opening message «

••

I want to start off by saying that I've always wanted to write a book like this. A book with a Muslim character in it so that I can write about some of the things I feel and struggle with as a Muslim.

Of course, I've written Personal Assistant and that short story includes a Muslim male character too but I feel like as girls or women, who cover themselves, we face a bigger challenge than most Muslim men.

We're already at a disadvantage of having been blessed with a vagìna and because of that, people think that we're weak. That we're just "women" or that we throw punches "like a girl", like being associated with anything female is a bad and insulting thing.

And on top of that, if you're a Muslim woman, then I pray to God that wherever you are, you'll stay strong through your daily battles. I pray that you'll never give up and that you won't ever stop believing in yourself, and that you'll never e v e r doubt your faith. I pray that you'll be fierce and gentle and loving and passionate and never like those people who try so hard to bring you down.

Believe me, I know how hard it is. Every time I see a video online where someone is filming a Muslim woman being harassed in public because of wearing the hijab, I break down. I weep for all the girls who are bullied in high school because they cover themselves and because even the teachers don't think it's necessary to stop the hate. Adults, people older than me and more mature than me, turn a blind eye to all this.

W h y ?

Why do you hate us so much?

Why can't you accept us the way you've accepted everyone else? Aren't we humans? What twisted reason could you possibly have to say that we deserve all this?

All this shit?

All this hate?

All this blind judgement?

All these tears?

We don't.

We have as much right as anyone else.

I need you to say it with me.

We don't deserve this.

WE DON'T DESERVE THIS!

WE DON'T FŪCKING DESERVE THIS!

THAT WOMAN WHO GOT TASERED AT AIRPORT SECURITY BECAUSE OF HER HIJAB DIDN'T DESERVE THAT!

THOSE YOUNG MUSLIM BOYS THAT ARE STOPPED AND CHECKED AND EMBARRASSED BY POLICE OFFICERS DON'T DESERVE THAT!

THOSE GIRLS WHOSE SCARVES ARE YANKED OFF BY THEIR CLASSMATES DON'T DESERVE THAT!

WE DON'T DESERVE THE MUSLIM BAN AND WE DON'T DESERVE ISLAMOPHOBIA!

We. Won't. Stand. For. That.

We're not the bad guys. We're not out there to plant bombs and take over the world. Do you even realize how ridiculous that sounds?

We're people like you, just trying to live our life and fulfill our dreams. Period.

There is no secret master plan. We're just like you, with our minor differences.

We are you.

There's no need to be afraid.

And hopefully, you'll be able to see that in my book and understand things from our perspective. Thank you so much for your time and your interest in my writing. I'll appreciate any sort of feedback and every vote will mean a lot to me.

Let's put an end to these disgusting stereotypes.

••

The Girl With The Headscarf