prologue: end

Sunday.

A week later, I was back to the ship. I might have lied a little to Matt when I told him I had to get back, which I felt awful for doing. But it was better for the both of us.

The day was slow for the most part, but around noon, I was called into Commander Johnson's office. I made my way to the door of his office, his secretary telling me to go in as he was waiting for me. I knock once before opening and walking through the door. I stand in salute before he can say a word.

"At ease, McGarrett. Please take a seat." I nod my head at his command and sit in the chair in front of his large wooden desk.

"McGarrett, I'm going to give you an offer, the same one I will give to Lieutenants Smith and Jax. You leave the Navy, or you can sign another contract. I know that Tyler's death has taken a large toll on you, so I'm offering this because I believe you will accept the one you believe is right for you." I nodded in thanks.

"I'll leave." He didn't need an explanation, he knew why. Commander came around the desk and shook my hand, but I pulled him into a hug. "Mahalo." We pulled away and he had a confused look on his face. "Thank you." He nodded.

"Tell your brother I said hello?" I nodded and left his office. I made my way back to my bunks, finding Smith and Jax were already there. I sighed, knowing I will be leaving my brothers soon.

"I'm leaving the Navy. I'm sorry." They nodded but the tears welled up in my eyes anyway. We each had individual hugs.

"We assumed you might." Smith said quietly.

"I'm really going to miss seeing your bossy face every day." I chuckled at Jax.

"Don't worry, you'll see me again. Count on it." They both nodded before I pulled them into a group hug. One that seemed empty without my best friend embracing us next to me.

They left soon after, making me sigh as I remembered our time together as a team.

I was staying another night since my helicopter wouldn't arrive until morning, and I still had no idea as to where I was going. I sat on the edge of my bunk, looking directly at Josh's perfectly made bed that was across from me.

I knew I didn't want to go back to Hawaii, maybe I could go visit Mary for a while, see how she is doing.

Before I could come up with any other ideas, there was a loud knock on the door. I walked over and opened the door. I pulled him into a hug as soon as I took notice of who it was. Joe White.

"Hello Emily."

"Why are you here, Joe?" I already had a clue to why, and it was confirmed when he sighed.

"I heard about Joshua, I am so sorry Emily." This made my heart clench. Joe trained both of us when we were becoming SEALs. "I also just recently found out on the ride here that you were leaving the Navy, is this true?" I nodded my head slightly.

"You catch word fast. I just can't seem to handle it anymore. Looking at his bunk everyday, and seeing his seat in our helicopter being taken by a replacement. I snapped at the fill-in today. I am going crazy on this ship, and I can't do it anymore."