thirty-one

Thursday
5:38 a.m.

I want to groan at the time displayed on my phone. But instead, I get up. I take a quick shower, not wanting to wake Danny. Then I get dressed in a solid black t-shirt and regular jeans. I pull my black converse from my duffle, slipping those on.

 I pull my black converse from my duffle, slipping those on

I call a taxi as I finish dusting on some light makeup. I walk out of Grace's room and back to the couch.

I fold the blanket and lay it neatly on the back of the couch. There are a few honks outside before I get the memo.

I walk out with my wallet, phone, badge, and gun.

The taxi takes me to the company that towed my SUV last night. I walk in with a smile, but I think it was the badge and gun clipped to my waistband that made their eyes go wide.

"How can I help you, miss?" I smile once again.

"I'm Emily McGarrett. Is my car ready?"

He nods quickly. "Yes, ma'am. Right this way." I follow him into the garage and smile once I see it ready to go. "Here are your keys." I take them from his hand.

"What was wrong?" I ask.

"Someone cut the coolant tube. It leaked and caused the engine to overheat." I nod. "So, we replaced the tube and replaced the coolant." I smile.

"Thanks. What will it cost?" I ask while pulling my wallet out.

He shakes his head. "No need, Miss. The Governor already paid for it." I chuckle.

"Anything else?" I ask him, watching as his face shows curiosity, and the scratch on my face was probably not helping.

"Do you mind if I ask why someone would cut the tube?" I chuckle.

"I was kidnapped yesterday, and this is how they got me." His eyes widen in shock. "Have a nice day, sir." He nods before walking to the wall and pressing a button. Then, the garage doors begin opening.

I drive off to the Palace, making it there within twenty minutes. Being only 6:29, my guess is correct when I see that no one else is here.

I walk directly into my office and start on the paperwork from yesterday. After everything that went down, the Governor wanted a full report.

At around seven, I pick up my desk phone, dialing the number that was posted on my desk.

"Governor's Office."