eight

Recap:
"Hi, Catherine." She laughed.

"Has your brother convinced you to ask for a favor?" Not understanding, I just got to the point.

"No, this is me. I need you to meet me somewhere."

"Is everything okay?" I sighed.

"Nothing is wrong. I'm going to text you an address. Can you be there at 12:00?"

"Yeah. See you then." I hung up after that and decided to give myself a few hours to think about what I was really going to say to her.

Emily McGarrett's POV

It was 11:30 and I was going through the Winford's history. I got up, trying to walk out without anyone saying something, but Steve did.

"Where are you going, Em?" He was frustrated that I was leaving when we were in the middle of a case. So I glanced at him as I pushed the doors opened.

"I'll be back in 45." Before he could answer, I was off. I realized I left my car at home when Danny and I left this morning, so I called a taxi and as soon as I got home, I jumped in my car and zoomed to the address I had texted to Catherine. It was a little lookout area.

Pulling in, I saw that she was already here, looking at the view. Honking my horn, she turned around to smile at me. I turn off the car, take a deep breath, and get out. I gave her a hug as I got to her.

"I'm really glad you're here, Catherine." She nods.

"Me too." I step away from the hug and look at the view for a moment before turning back to her.

"Do you know why I came back?" She nodded and gave me a tight hug.

"I'm so sorry, Emily." My eyes filled with tears. Maybe it's just the word 'sorry' that makes me sad.

"Mahalo." She nods and we pull back. I look back into her eyes.

"Could you maybe not mention it to my brother? I haven't told him yet, so I'd like to wait a little bit." She nods in understanding.

"Of course. Anything you need." I decided that I was going to ask her, whether it ruined a friendship or not.

"Could you not leave again?" She looks shocked.

"What?"

"I need you to stay. You're happy here, right?" She nods. "Then I need you to stay, please? My brother, I have known him my entire life, obviously, but I can tell you right now, he loves you. And whether you want to admit it or not, you do too."

"I'll stay, Em. Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere." I nodded, pulling her in for another hug as some tears started to fall. "Joshua Tyler. Your teammate that died, you two were close, weren't you?" I chuckled, pulling back. But instead of looking at her, I turn my attention to the beautiful view ahead of us.

"Yeah, my best friend. I moved from Hawaii when I was 10, my mother died, and my father sent Mary and I to live with Aunt Deb. We signed up for the Navy on the same day."

"You were in love with him." She says bluntly, and I turn back and catch her gaze.

"I still am, Catherine." She gives me a pity look, so I glance away again. "Thank you. I am truly sorry to pull you from the ship, I have to go work on a case." She nods, pulling me in for another brief hug.