eleven

Emily McGarrett's POV

Friday.

The next day, I woke up crying. I brushed it off and walked downstairs. It was only 6:00, so Steve was probably in the middle of his morning run.

Deciding not to worry about a big breakfast, I grab some cereal from the cabinet and pour some of the coffee that was in the pot, but set it to make another. I walk to the living room, sit on the couch, and turn the TV on, keeping the volume low as I knew that my brother's 'lover' was still asleep.

After finishing my cereal, I take the bowl to the sink, wash it quickly and put it away, then make my way back to the couch, where I sat for 20 minutes before Catherine came down.

"Good morning." She wipes her eyes and smiles.

"Morning Em. Steve still out?" I nod and she walks into the kitchen, coming out a moment later with a bowl of cereal. She sat next to me and we watch TV until she puts her bowl down.

"So, you told him?" I chuckle.

"Yeah. He was surprised, especially since he knew Josh." She nodded, but turned to me with a confused expression. "They had met because when Steve would visit Mary and I, Josh would always be there or around. I brought him home a few years ago as well." She nods, and looks to my hands that were wringing together with a little bit of nervousness.

"Why do you have a ring on?" I look down to my left hand. My promise ring.

"Josh gave it to me almost two years ago at Christmas. He said it was to symbolize our friendship, and that even if he wasn't with me, he was. I put it on my ring finger so that people think I am taken. It helps in bars." I chuckle humorlessly and bite my lip.

"Are you okay?" I laugh at this statement.

"No, but who is anyway?" She sighs and pulls me in for a hug, but I let go after a few seconds and gesture to the television. "We are missing the good parts." I turn it up, hoping she got the message. She did.

After 15 minutes of watching a guy get the living shit beat out of him, Steven walks in through the back door.

He chuckles when he sees us. "My two favorite girls, together." We chuckle as he walks up the stairs. He sprints back down 10 minutes later, looking at us with his work face. "We got a case, get ready." I groan and get up, running up the stairs.

I take a brief shower and towel dry my hair as I pick out and outfit, I grab a striped top, light colored jeans, and some white Chuck Taylor's.

Running back down, I chuckle at Steven's inpatient look and walk straight to the door and to my SUV.

"What are you doing?" I chuckle.

"Driving my car, what are you doing?" He grumbles and gets in to the passenger side, mumbling things the entire way.

Pulling in, I see the police tape and Danny's car next to a few patrol cars. "I hate you, Emily." I chuckle.

"I'm sure you do Steven." He huffs and glares a little. We jump out just as Danny starts walking over. He stops for a few seconds and then pinches his arm.