ten

Recap:
I was crying and Danny was trying to calm me down. I didn't tell him that I love Josh, but he knew, because five minutes after I finished, he asked me a question.

"You loved him, didn't you?" I shake my head, just like I had done with Catherine.

"God, I still do." I burst into another round of small tears and cry into Danny's shirt.

I leave thirty minutes later, calmed down, but not completely rid of tears. But, I'm not sure if I ever will be.

Emily McGarrett's POV

I walk into the house, finding Steve already there, working on something at the desk.

"Hey."

"He- have you been crying?" I nodded. "Why? What happened?"

"You'll find out in twenty minutes." He looks a bit confused, so I rush up the stairs before he could say anything else. Walking into my room, I went straight to the closet. I changed into a big sweatshirt that had NAVY written on it, I was pretty sure it belonged to Josh, but his smell was no longer present. I then found some old leggings in the drawer.

As I am about to leave, I stop and walk to my duffle, pulling out what I was looking for.

Walking back downstairs, I find Steve sitting on the couch, looking at me expectantly. I chuckle and walk over to him, sitting down.

"So, where were you? Why were you crying?"

"I was with Dann-"

"What did he do?" There was an edge to his voice.

"Stop cutting me off and you will find out that he was the one who comforted me. I told him about what happened on my last mission, which is exactly what I'm about to tell you." He nods. I hand him the Purple Heart that was clenched tightly in my grasp.

"Who's is this?"

"Okay." I sigh once again, and retell the story. "My team and I, we were called in to check out this boat. It had been sitting there for two days, and it seemed suspicious." I took a deep breath. "We split up, checking the entire ship. We found a man, dead, with a timer bomb attached to his chest. Smith and Jax were clear otherwise, so we thought we could leave. But, Tyler didn't answer."

His eyes lit up in recognition. He must have remembered the name from my screams at night.

"I went to the area he was supposed to search, to find him on the ground, bleeding from three different places."

My voice was quivering, but Steve hadn't said a word.

"There was the bomb, and an insurgent. I shot him and threw Tyler over my shoulder. Then I took him to the helicopter. Tyler didn't want me to save him. He said that if the bomb went off with us in it, and I died, you would kill him." Steve smiled slightly at that.

"We left before the bomb could go off and leave us at the bottom of the ocean. But it didn't matter, because Tyler was not okay. The damage was far too extensive, and he was going in and out. We finally landed on the ship. The entire length of the flight back, I was trying to keep him awake, but he-he couldn't. Almost a minute after we arrived at the ship, he died. The l-laast thing he said was that I was his best friend, and that he lo-oved me." I let the tears fall once again, for the millionth time today. Steve grabbed me by the shoulders and pulled me in for a hug.