twenty-eight

Emily McGarrett's POV

"Our kidnapper Randy's story checks out. I got e-mails and a wire transfer." I speak to Steve and Catherine as they walk through the side doors.

"Still don't know who hired him to plant the bomb, though." Chin continues.

"Okay. Uh, Catherine has something she wants us to see." Steven speaks.

"This is a forensic recreation of the point of detonation and the blast trajectory." She pulls a thumb drive out and places it into the computer and then taps onto the file once it pops up.

We watch the video, Steven commenting first, "Wait a minute, according to this, the device was planted in the passenger-side door. So, what, Randy screwed up?"

"No." I answer. "In the e-mails, he was specifically instructed to put it there."

"That doesn't make any sense." Danny interjects.

"Well, it does if Amanda Madsen was the target instead of her son." I begin the slow story.

"Why would she be the target? Who would want her dead?" Danny asks.

"Thanks to Fong, we may have the answer to that question. Turns out the third cell phone he found at the scene wasn't a trigger device after all." Chin rattles off.

"It was a burner phone, and it belonged to Amanda Madsen. There was only one phone number programmed into it, and, uh, the texting back and forth was, shall we say, intimate." I say to the others.

"Amanda Madsen was having an affair; with who?" Steve asks.

"That's the kicker." Kono says as she pulls up at picture of the two.

"She was having an affair with the headless horseman?" Steven exclaims more than asks.

"Looks like it." Chin says with a slight chuckle.

"Okay, well, this changes pretty much everything. Uh, the two people that have motive in this now are Billy's girlfriend and Amanda's husband. Figure out who knew about the affair, we find the killer." I nod my head at Steven after he finishes.

"According to the hospital, Amanda Madsen's in stable condition and taking visitors." I announce.

"Kono, call the hospital and have a uni set at her door until we arrive." Steve says as I walk out the door with Danny, him not far behind.

"I'm taking my car!" I quickly run to mine and zoom off before they could get out of the parking lot. I quickly turn the sirens on and weave in and out of traffic.

Steve eventually catches up, so we arrive at the same time.

"Steve, something's wrong." Danny says as we run around the corner. Six nurses and a doctor had left the room, some others leaving with equipment. "That's Amanda's room."

We all reach her room, only to see another nurse taking the tube from her throat, a flatlining noise going off from the monitor.

"She's dead." Steve states.

"Emily just said she was stable." Danny looks at Steve and then to me.