thirty-four

Emily McGarrett's POV

Finally, I make it to the palace. I had gone to the Crime Lab with hope that Eric could figure out what was on the camera.

I walk to the computer table, everyone else soon gathering with me. "Emily, what'd you find out from Eric?" I typed a few things on the table.

"Well, we know that the camera was placed there about two months ago. The last thing recorded was us down below. But, the time of death, which was confirmed by Noelani, was around ten o'clock last night." I pull up the video log, playing the clip. "Our only problem is, from nine forty-five to ten thirty, it's snow." I fast forward through the clip. "It picks back up at ten thirty-one. And we see his body."

"Speaking of him." Kono says, tapping a few things once I move to the side. "Our victim is Kai Hulla. He was eight years old and lived in Pearl City."

"Pearl City? That's a long way from home for a kid to be out at ten o'clock." Steve says, looking at Kono.

"That's what I thought. So I did some more digging, and as it turns out, Kai was reported missing almost two months ago. Pearl City police eventually had to move on from the case."

"Parents?" Steve asks.

"Yeah. I talked to them. Someone told them that Kai was dead." Kono says, pulling the attention of all of us.

"HPD?" Danny asks.

"No. A police officer came to their house over a month ago to tell them Kai was dead."

"Do they know which department the officer was from?" I ask Kono, who shakes her head. "So we can assume this officer wasn't actually an officer then?" Everyone nods in agreement.

"Emily, you and Danny go talk to Noelani, see if she can tell you anything we don't know. Chin and Kono, go talk to the Pearl City police officers that were in charge of this case."

"And where will you be?" I ask.

"The Governor called." I nod, accepting this excuse. Danny and I walked to his car without a word.

He begins the drive, not saying a word until we're almost five minutes away from the Medical Examiner's Office.

"So what's the plan? We're just not going to talk the rest of our lives?" I shake my head.

"It happened weeks ago, Danny. I'm not even worried about it." He scoffs.

"If you didn't want to go out with me, you could've just said something. Instead I've waited around while you wandered about the island with Special Agent Perfect." I go to retort back, but catch myself as I re-examine his words.

"Are you jealous of Tony?" I ask, watching his side profile as he drives.

"No, Emily. Don't be so conceited." I roll my eyes at him before turning to look forward again.

"I'll try not to be." I say coldly, opening the car door before he could even put it into park.

"Emily, listen, I'm sorry, okay?" I nod.

"Noted." We walk into Noelani's office before going to the autopsy room. "Do you have anything for us?" I ask, watching as she examines the liver.

"The amount of bruising and scarring suggests that the victim was tortured within his months of being captured. On top of that, it seems that there was continual sexual assault considering his anal ca-"

"Okay, thank you, Noelani. Anything else?" Danny asks.

"His liver. It seems to be one of someone who had been intaking obscene amounts of alcohol for their entire life. I found DNA under his fingernails. I sent it to Eric almost ten minutes ago, so you should be getting a match at any time." I nod, beginning the walk away from the little boy on the metal table.