twenty-three

Recap:
I groan in frustration, slamming Gibbs' desk phone back on the receiver. Looking up, I see the other three looking at me worriedly. I wave my hand in the air as if to say it was fine.

Tony opened his mouth to say something, but was cut off my my phone ringing. I picked it up and answered.

"McGarrett." I am met with the quiet breathing of a man on the other end of the line. They were shallow, low breaths with a purpose, I'm sure.

"Hello there, Emily. You sound so formal, I never expected that." Collins. While he is talking, I gesture to McGee.

"Trace the call" I whisper while removing the phone from my mouth. "You're also not expecting that I will find you, and when I do, I will kill you, you son of a bitch." I stand up and walk around to the other side of Gibbs' desk.

"How very Liam Neeson of you." Tony says from in front of me.

"Ah ah ah, that wasn't very nice Emily. Where are your manners for the man who has your oh-so-tough Navy SEAL of a brother tied up in front of him."

"Don't you dare touch him." He chuckles sarcastically.

"Too late." I hear him drop the phone into a bunch of metal. I listen for a few moments before hearing the screaming of my brother.

"Leave him alone! Collins!" My eyes start to water before I sit on the ground and lean against Gibbs' desk. "Please! I will do anything."

It's like everything stopped. McGee was gesturing things to me while Bishop and DiNozzo were looking at me from the side of Gibbs' desk.

I let a few tears actually roll down my face, but I wiped them away before the others could see them.

"Anything?" I sigh as I hear Steve stop screaming in pain.

"Don't do it Emily! Please! He will kill you." I ignore his tired pleas.

"Anything." I hear Steve's struggled shouts in the background. Collins begins to laugh menacingly.

"I'll send you the address. Come by yourself, no tricks, games, or back up. I'll let your brother go if you let me kill you."

"Deal." Not an ounce of hesitation. I can hear Steve in the back, begging me. That son of a bitch has had it on speaker since this thing started.

"See you soon Emily." The line goes dead.

I gather myself up quickly and begin towards the elevators. "Emily!" I don't turn around for the calls.

The doors open before I even have time to press the button. Gibbs steps out of the double doors, and noticing my distraught expression, he stopped.

"McGarrett?" I brush past him and quickly hit the floor button, leaving him confused as the doors began to close. I thought I had gotten away, but a hand slipped through the cracks of the doors just before they closed.

"What do you want Gibbs? I need to go."

"Where are you going?"

"To get my brother." He nods and steps in the elevator. "What are you doing?"

"Going to get your brother." I shake my head.

"You can't." My eyes begin to water, understanding that I can't explain the full story to Gibbs, because he would only persist on going more. "He said only me, no games and no guns. I'm sorry, but I'm not risking my brother. He and my sister are the only good things I have left. I can't let Collins take that away from me." He nods, understanding.