twenty-seven

Emily McGarrett's POV

We were on the road again before Danny spoke. "I am not saying that Madame Esmeralda was, in fact, the real deal. There are obviously bad apples in the bunch." I stop him right there.

"Okay, seriously. You, Danny Williams believe in psychics?" I look at him incredulously.

"Hey, listen, all I know is that when I was a cop back in New Jersey, there was a lady and she definitely had something. Uh, a gift." I chuckle.

"A gift?"

"Don't mock me. You gonna mock me? I know what I know, okay? There was this girl in Hoboken. She went missing, she was seven years old. We got no evidence. We got no leads, we got nothing. This lady, she came in. She lights a candle, she starts touching the girl's clothes, and then out of nowhere, all of a sudden, she takes us right to the kid. It was amazing."

"You sure she wasn't in on it?" I ask.

"In... what are you, impugning my investigative skills? We-we cleared her obviously. She had a gift." He looks absolutely offended.

"Okay, so let me get this straight, you do believe in psychics, but you don't believe in ghosts."

"That's correct."

"Oh, that makes sense. Totally." I say, sarcastically.

"What can I say? I'm complicated." I chuckle.

"That's quite the understatement." He scoffs and stays somewhat quiet the rest of the ride to the palace.

"Hey, guys." Steve says as we walk in through the glass doors. "So, I pulled Billy Keats' financials. Turns out his former team was still paying him."

"Okay, wait, his girlfriend said he left that team a few months ago." I say, confused.

"Right. And not only was the general manager keeping him on the payroll, he actually upped what he was paying him." Steve responded.

"Hold on." Danny stopped the two of us from speaking. "Who quits their job and gets a raise?"

"Very good question. The general manager's a guy named Al Reingold."

"Al. Al! The, uh, the psychic said that Billy ignored a call from a guy named Al and it made him nervous." Danny spoke quickly.

"Okay, well, that would make sense if Billy was taking hush money from Al." My brother now looks convinced.

"Hush money?" I ask. "For what?"

"Horse doping." Danny and I look at each other, confused.

"I like it, it's a good theory. Where did it come from?"

"Billy Keats left Al mid-season and for a rival team, I figured that Al wasn't paying him out of a goodwill gesture. So, I looked into who else was on Al's payroll and I found the name of a veterinarian from the mainland. This guy was busted for supplying racehorse owners with a performance enhancing drug called Dermorphin." I nodded while looking at the screen.

"So, you think he supplied Al with the same stuff for his polo ponies?" Steve nodded.

"Well, I mean, the guy was based in Nevada. I don't think he's going to be making house calls to Honolulu."