twenty-five

3 1/2 weeks later
Sunday
Emily McGarrett's POV

"You can't hide away here forever, Emily." I run the sandpaper along the grain of the wood, chuckling softly.

"I'm not hiding, Gibbs. I'm taking a small leave of absence." He chuckles.

"Can't take a leave of absence from life." I nod my head in disagreement.

"I've been doing it for almost a month now."

"And do you know how many times your brother's called?"

"Nope." He smiles and finishes carving a small rose. "I'm doing the right thing Gibbs. Staying away from them will cause less harm to them."

"We got Banks."

"I know. But what about everyone else. There has to be at least two dozen people that want me dead. What happens then?"

"What happens when you cut all ties and stay in DC?"

"I'll lose my mind." He chuckles.

"Call him." I shake my head, but he gives me a look before pulling his phone from his pants pocket and placing it into the palm of my hand.

"Mahalo, Gibbs." He waves me off, focusing on another small detail in the block of wood. I walk up the stairs and dial a number I memorized so long ago.

"McGarrett." I sigh.

"Hey Steven."

"Emily? I've been trying to reach you for weeks."

"I know. I'm sorry. What did you want to talk to me about?"

"Nothing. Just making sure you were okay."

"I'm fine, Steve."

"Are you coming back?" I smile.

"Yeah. I'll be home soon."

"For real this time?"

"What do you mean for real? I was there almost a month ago."

"Here for maybe half a day." I nod.

"Okay, that's fair."

"I'll expect you within 48 hours?" I chuckle.

"See you then, Stevie." I press the end call button before I would be stuck listening to him shout over the phone about how much he hates that nickname.

I walk back down the stairs with a small smile on my face. Gibbs stays silent, even when I sit back down on my stool and begin running the sand paper along the grain of the wood.

"I'm leaving soon." I tell him.

"Hmm." I smile.
---------------

Monday
7:00 am
Emily McGarrett's POV

"So, you're leaving?" Bishop asks, a small frown on her face. I chuckle.

"I'll be back. I can't live without my suits." I pat Leon and McGee on the shoulders, who were standing on either side of me.

"Aww. I'm going to miss you so much! Gibbs texted me last night, so I made you some cookies." I chuckle at Abby and take the large tin away from her before stopping and looking in the direction of Gibbs.