thirty-five

Monday
3:17 a.m. (DC time)

Emily McGarrett's POV

I open the unlocked door, smiling at the quiet house. I lay my bags gently on the ground next to the doorway. By the sounds of wood carving, I can assume he's in the basement.

Slowly, I walk through the kitchen and to the steps that lead to the basement. I notice a light on about halfway down, not seeing him until I was at the bottom of the stairs. "Good morning, Emily."

"How did you know it was me?" I ask, stopping at the end of the boat. I examine the frame, noticing it was a different boat than the one I helped him with not even seven months ago.

"I talked to DiNozzo yesterday." I nod, walking up beside him. He was carving out a wooden panel for the boat. He places the tools down, turning to face me. He wore a sweatshirt that said Marines on it in bold writing. His hair was cut into a shapely fashion, making me smile. I pull him in for a hug after I realized he was waiting for me to make a move.

"Don't ask." I plea, pulling him in tighter before letting go.

"Wasn't planning to." He whispers before planting a kiss on my forehead.

The two of us walk up the stairs after a good thirty minutes of carving wood. I took the bed, per usual, and he took the couch.
---------------

Monday
5:25 a.m.

Emily McGarrett's POV

After the extra two hours of sleep, I was ready to start the day. I got up, took a brief shower, getting out quickly. I towel dry my hair, watching it turn into the natural wavy curls.

October was harsh in DC, so I dressed for it. I pull out a simple black sweater with some lightly colored jeans. Then I grab my white sneakers and walk down the stairs.

I tug on my necklace that sat at the middle of my chest, smiling as I think of everyone in LA; Josh who wasn't there but should be

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

I tug on my necklace that sat at the middle of my chest, smiling as I think of everyone in LA; Josh who wasn't there but should be.

"Ready to go?" I hear from the kitchen. I look over, nodding my head when I see him standing to put his bowl in the sink.

We make it to the office by six thirty, no one else there for obvious reasons. I mean, not many people go in to work before the sun rises.

"I have to go do something." He gestures to his desk before walking away with his coffee cup. I chuckle before taking a long sip of my coffee.

My phone buzzes in my pocket. I pull it out to see a text from Steven.

Be safe.

I smile, opening it up to send him one back.

You too.

I set my phone on the desk, deciding to open up a newspaper that was sitting on the desk, probably from yesterday.