twenty-six

Tuesday
Emily McGarrett's POV

To my surprise, I wake up to the sound of Steve's voice. "Hey, hey, hey, come here." He's whispering, just outside my door.

I get up, wondering what was going on. I begin walking down the stairs slowly, not really wanting to know what was going on. "Don't move!"

What the hell?

Mumbling is all I can hear until I reach the door way. That voice. I've heard it before. I wait until the woman begins talking about Steve and Catherine to go in.

"Why are yo-" my question is cut short when my vision clouds with anger and sadness. "Doris?"

"Well, I'm your mother, sweetie. You can call me mom." I chuckle sarcastically.

"You lost the title a long time ago." She continues to scrape eggs from a pan and into a bowl.

"I told you it was safer upstairs." Steve says to Catherine before placing his gun on top of the fridge.

"I was just... I-I should really..." she pointed over her shoulder for indication.

"No, no, no, no, you should join us, absolutely. It's no trouble at all. How do you like your eggs?"

"How do you like your eggs?" Steve asks her sarcastically.

"Oh, no, no, you three want to catch up, and I really have to run, so..." Steve looks at her suspiciously. "Briefing at the base."

"Aww. That's too bad. Another time then?" Doris says while looking at her.

"Absolutely." Cath smiles.

"Great. See ya." Did she just dismiss Catherine?

"Okay." She mumbles to Steve before turning to me and apologizing through her eyes. "Good luck." She whispers as she walks out the door.

Doris looks at Steve after a few seconds and picks up the tray of food. "Ooh, I like her."

"Okay, Mom?" I glare at Steve who looks back defensively as he calls after her while she continues walking into the other room.

"What the hell Steven?" He raises his hands in defense.

"I didn't know she was coming, Em. I came down the stairs with a gun."

"I will not be talking to her."

"Yes you are. You need to patch things up eventually."

"Breakfast is getting cold guys!" She yells from the dining room area.

"Mom I don't want breakfast." He answers as we walk into the room.

"You know, your security system sucks." Steve and I stand next to the table.

"Okay, you know what, stop. Okay? What are you doing here?" Steven grumbles out.

"I never left the Island, but I think you already knew that." She pinches off a piece of toast and begins eating.

"Yeah, you persuaded WITSEC to turn the plane around."