Stupefied Heart

"I want to come too!", I protest once again. Barry flashes me a smile," Nope you're staying here."

I cross my arms," Oh? So I'm not good enough?"

He frowns stepping back," No, no it's not that it's just-"

I chuckle," It's alright, I just really want to see Grodd."
He scratches the back of his neck, baring his eyes into mine," Why? Why do you actually want to see Grodd?"

"Well, one: I can help heal if anyone else needs it and two, I may have a hunch that he knows why my parents might have died."

His eyes widen.

I skim my eyes around the room," Do you know why?"
He shakes his head," No, I don't-- but asking Grodd at this time, when he's this angry, may not be the right thing to do Gabi."

I fidget with my nails.

"Barry, how'd you feel when you knew why your mom was killed?"

He nestles his chin into his hands," I could breathe again. Well, until the next issue rolled right in."

"Exactly. I've felt trapped for years now, and I need to know why they were killed. I can't change the past and my visions don't show their death. I need to feel like I can breathe again."

He nods, trying to collect his thoughts together.

"Barry, this may be my only chance."

---

I really need to paint my nails.
They're uneven, and absolutely revolting.
You lose the little pleasures like this when villains with superpowers attack you from different universes.
Oh, scratch that, Gods.

And gorillas.

Wow, do I live a brilliant life?

"Ready?", Caitlyn asks, adjusting my masquerade like mask on me.
I shrug,"How ready can I get myself to ask an angry telepathic gorilla how his 'father' physically sawed his hand through my parents, thus killing them?"

"Ooh!", She points her finger in the air," You've forgotten how he wants to completely destroy our city until it's dust!"

I giggle," That too."

"How're you really?"

"Well", I say, fiddling with the cuffs of my sleeves," Scared, nervous, anxious. A part of me knows I'm not going to get answers. A part has hope."

She smiles encouragingly, circling the room, grabbing a water bottle," Then hope Gabi, it's the best thing to do."

"Hey, Joe's getting ready to go, he's asking if you're done taking a zillion years to get ready", calls Roy, who lingers by the doorway.

I nod, a lump forming in my throat," Yeah I'll be right there."

"You'll be absolutely fine", reassures Caitlyn.

I fit through the doorway, heading to the elevators when a hand grabs my arm.

"Are you okay?",asks Roy, hunched over, his eyes clouded.

I nod, forcing a smile,"Brilliant."
He lets go, unsure if he should, and I quickly pace away, not ready at all to know why they died.