one

"I switch up my cup,I kill any pain

I kill any pain."

Alex laid her head on her brother's back and clutched his sides as the two rode their way out of the city on Jim's bike. It had been his idea to take her out to his favorite bar on her last night before she left for Starfleet.

She was disappointed that he wouldn't be going with her, but he had still supported her the whole admissions process. He had been there when Christopher Pike called her about her admission. He had been there when she took a tour of San Francisco. He had been there when she first became a clinic doctor.

And now, since it was their last night together, Alex wanted nothing but to spend quality time with her brother.

Or so she had hoped.

The siblings entered the busy building and wandered their way to the back. Alex settled in to the corner of the bar, waving down the bartender.

"I'll be right back." Jim wandered off to the other end of the bar, where there was another woman about his age, in her cadet reds.

"Oh my god." She muttered, smoothing her mini skirt down and sitting at the nearest stool.

"Boyfriend already off and runnin'?" The bartender made his way to Alex. "What can I get you tonight, darlin'?"

Alex rolled her eyes. "Straight Bourbon, and a fire tea would be great. And that asshole is my stepbrother, not my boyfriend."

The bartender chuckled. "He's sure trying his luck tonight. He joining Starfleet too?" He motioned to the insignia on her jacket.

"I tried and tried again to get him to come with me, but he wouldn't have it."

"That's unfortunate." Another man's voice came up from behind her and took the seat next to her. "Give the lady an extra shot, on me."

"And who might you be?" Alex turned to the man, also in Cadet uniform.

"Simon M'Benga. I'm vying to be a medical officer." He reached out and the two shook hands. "I usually go by M'Benga alone."

"Alex Watterson. Also vying to be a medical officer." She let go and downed the first shot she saw in front of her.

M'Benga and Alex scanned the room, where they both saw the conversation between Jim and the other woman get tenser. "This was supposed to be our last night together, but he can't keep it in his pants...again."

Before M'Benga could answer her, shouts came from across the bar and Jim was pulled away from the girl.

"Oh my god!" Alex shrieked as Jim was punched in the face after a short exchange. A 3 on 1 fight ensued. They exchanged punches and Jim was kicked head over heels across a table.

Alex sprang out of her chair to go intervene but M'Benga put a hand on her shoulder.

"Best not. They need to work it out themselves."

Alex frowned and watched in horror as Jim was thrown into the same girl again, his hands landing on her chest.

"Shit." Alex muttered.

She shoved Jim off of her and he was held back as one of the men began kicking him repeatedly. Alex flinched as Jim smashed a glass bottle over the head of one of his attackers. The same guy picked him up and threw him against a table, landing more punches on Jim's face.

A loud whistle rang out through the room just as Alex broke free of M'Benga's grasp.

"Outside! All of you!" The Starfleet officer barked.

The cadet who had a hold of Jim let him drop to the ground and left. Alex watched as M'Benga left with the rest of the crowd, a pang of sadness in his eyes.

"Alexandra Watterson." The officer patted her shoulder. "I'm excited to see you at Starfleet. Christopher Pike, by the way."

She pursed her lips. "Thanks. I look forward to it." She looked down at the mess her brother was in. "I'll be outside, Jim."

Alex sauntered her way over to Jim's bike and sat on the gravel next to it. Her lip quivered, but she held back the tears forming in her eyes as best as she could. She wiped the ones that did fall on her face with the back of her hand.

The one night she wanted to spend with him most turned into an all out disaster. Of course he would go and try to hook up with a girl and then get his ass handed to him.

Maybe Pike talked some sense into him. Hopefully. She wasn't sure if she could face Jim after tonight.

She heard the footsteps of someone leaving the bar. "Pick your head up, kid. I'll see you tomorrow. 0800." Pike exited the building and climbed on to his own bike, zooming away into the night.

No more than a couple minutes later, Alex stood up, wiped a few more tears away, and stood herself at the entrance of the bar. Jim was beginning to leave, and seeing his upset step sister, staring at him intently was rather unsettling.

He lumbered over to her, and when the two were face to face, she reached out and slapped him as hard as she could across the face.

Jim pursed his lips, ignoring the pain, and nodded. He nodded cause he knew he had fucked up big time, and there was no talking his way out of this. Alex put her face in her hands and turned around, beginning to walk over to the bike, but Jim grabbed her shoulder and pulled her into his chest. He held her as tightly as he could, arms wrapped around her shoulders. She leaned back into his chest and let the tears fall again. Alex clung on to his arms at the crook of his elbow. When she couldn't hide the sobs any longer, Jim squeezed her tighter and looked away, masking his face of sadness and regret.

Hey hey hey!!! I'm so excited for y'all to read this story!! I've got so much angst and fluff and all of the above planned for this. Enjoy!!

Be sure to comment, vote, share, and follow me for more updates from this story!! Xoxox.

~AB~