three

"We're in the city of wonder, ain't gonna play nice

"We're in the city of wonder, ain't gonna play nice."

Alex was shaken awake by Jim after dosing off during the flight to San Francisco. She looked out the window and noticed the super high-rise buildings coming into view. She gasped as the shuttle flew closer and closer to the shipyard.

"Jesus. I had no idea San Francisco was this big." She murmured to herself.

The shuttle glided right in to the shipyard, landing perfectly on the landing pad. All of the cadets on board eagerly jumped out of their seats and grabbed their belongings. Alex, Jim, and Leonard all grabbed their own things, and exited the shuttle.

They stepped out and admired the city around them, and followed the crowd of other cadets towards the academy. Alex scanned the city, noticing the hustle and bustle of people trying to get from A to B. Jesus, she had never seen this many people in her life.

"What a fucking concrete jungle." Leonard blatantly stated, causing Jim to answer immediately.

"What did you expect, Bones? Starfleet to be on a farm?"

Alex laughed out loud as the two jabbed at each other a couple more times. "Come on guys." She linked arms with each of them, dragging the men along with her. "The Academy awaits."

--

While Jim and Bones had already wandered off to find their assigned rooms, Alex was picking through the PADD she was handed as she walked in to the Academy. There were swarms of people greeting each other, showing themselves around, and finding their own rooms.

She looked down at her new tablet, and found the room she was assigned to and the roommate to whom she was assigned. Alex made her way down that hall.

She typed her code to get into the room, and as the door slid open, she was greeted with a strong aroma of lavender and some soft music playing. She saw an empty bed, assuming that was hers, and threw her stuff on it.

"So you're my roommate then?" Alex turned to see the other woman, a blonde haired, slightly older woman.

"I guess so." She sat down on her bed to face her. "I'm Alex. Alex Watterson."

"Christine Chapel. I'm a nurse."

"I'm a doctor."

The two looked at each other for a second and laughed.

"Where are you from, Alex?" Christine asked.

"Iowa. My step brother and I just got in this morning on a shuttle."

Christine's eyes widened. "So San Francisco has got to be a huge change for you. I grew up in San Diego, and I decided to ditch nursing down there and go to space instead."

Alex smiled. "That's basically what I did. I wanted to leave Iowa cause there's so much more out there. I couldn't imagine living the small town life forever."

"I could understand that."

--

The two women chatted for quite a long time for the rest of the afternoon. Alex and Christine found out that they shared a lot more interests besides saving lives and drinking.

They made their way towards their first meeting with their commanding science and medical officers. It was in a fairly large hall with plenty of seating and a large podium for multiple people to sit at. Alex smoothed out her skirt and followed Christine to find a spot in the crowded room. They sat down towards the back, leaving one seat open on either side of them.

"Oh it's you, Alex." She turned to see Bones standing above her and taking a seat next to her. "I was hoping to find you so I didn't have to sit alone."

"Tonight's your lucky night then." Alex answered. Bones gave her a small smile before turning to the front.

"Is this seat taken?" The three of them turned to see M'Benga next to Christine.

"All yours." She answered.

"How are you liking your first day here, Simon?" Alex leaned over to ask him.

"It's going quite well. I see you've made new friends."

"Oh shit! I'm so awful at this." Alex exclaimed. "Simon M'Benga, this is Christine Chapel, my roommate and a nurse, and this guy behind me is Leonard McCoy. He's a doctor too."

The four of them awkwardly said their 'heys' and waved before the meeting began.

The meeting seemed to drone on for hours as the new four friends were starting to get bored. By the time it was over, Alex was more than ready for a drink and some sleep.

"Anybody up for drinks? I know a few good places around here. Christine asked the group.

"Me." Alex and Bones immediately answered. The three of them turned to M'Benga.

"I'm in."

--

"Wait, you what?!" Alex exclaimed as she others gaped at Christine, who was turning bright red.

"I said I had to crossbreed a cardassian vole with a tribble in med school. It was absolutely awful."

"But the genetic pr-what?" Bones struggled to find the words to comprehend Christine's experiment. "That doesn't work!"

Christine threw her hands up in the air. "Something came out!"

M'Benga took a shot and slammed it down on the table. "I have to ask, did it look like a tribble with legs?"

"And a tail." Christine answered. "Don't ask me how I did it, cause I don't remember. But there were multiple results."

Alex giggled as she took another sip of her beer. It was about to be a fun four years at Starfleet.

Hey hey hey!! How are my people??

Be sure to comment, vote, share, and follow me for more updates from this story!! Xoxox.

~AB~