fourteen

"But my friends won't love me like you

"But my friends won't love me like you."

Alex could barely remember the whirring, and the shaking of the ship as the enterprise struggled to leave the pull of the black hole. She could barely remember what was happening in the past 6 hours after that because she fainted after seeing Bones check her charts.

Alex blinked open her eyes as soon as she regained consciousness. Machines beeped around her, a few nurses conversed outside her room, and there was a soft snoring at one end of her bed. Bones had obviously stood in to check on her, and had fallen asleep doing so. 

She reached out for the PADD that was sitting on the desk next to her, and she cried out in pain while doing so. She tossed the device on to her lap, taking a second to breathe. Alex opened her charts, and raised an eyebrow. Everything was fairly steady, with the exception of the large dip in  her vitals 6 hours prior. Alex felt fine, she just needed to sleep in her own bed....without the distraction of machines. 

"What the hell are you doing?" Bones jumped in his seat when he saw that Alex had woken up. 

"Leaving." Alex shrugged, wincing as she removed the IV in her hand. 

"I haven't discharged you yet."

"I checked my readings, I'm doing perfectly fine." She swung her legs off the table. 

"You are not fine! Look at you!"

Alex rolled her eyes. He was right. She was drenched in cold and clammy sweat, her head was throbbing, and she was still a little dizzy.

"You were nearly dead, Alex."

"For a minute! From psychogenic shock, I know." Alex pushed her messy hair out of her face, taking a breath. "Do you even know what happened? Why I might have in the first place?"

"Spock told me everything, and he's sorry about it." He stood up from his seat. "Why did you even go? Why would you go out and risk your life like that?"

"I felt like I had to do something to help them. To help Jim get Pike back." Alex answered meekly, looking down at the ground and swinging her feet. "And we did."

Bones narrowed his eyes, which were growing cloudy. "And yet, here you are."

"I know. I'm stupid." Alex shook her head. "I'm too dumb and immature to even think firsthand about the possibility of losing my life."

"Alexandra, don't..." He started, pressing his face into his hands.

"I never even thought about how it would affect myself and the people I care about most. I was too stupid to tell you goodbye, or even think about how you would react if I was injured or had died. I honestly didn't. And now I see you looking like the world just ended while I'm kicking myself for it because I can't even admit my feelings for you to myself."