twenty-nine

"Won't take nothing but a memory from the house that built me

"Won't take nothing but a memory from the house that built me."

"How late is it?"

Bones checked his watch. "2100."

"Did you really think coming home at this hour was actually going to be a good idea?" Alex dropped her luggage in front of the door and folded her arms, turning towards Jim, who shrugged.

"It was the only shuttle flight I could get for us here." Jim rang the doorbell.

"They may not even be up!"

"I've got a key!" Jim whipped out the small key from his pocket.

"Where did you find that?"

"Right under the doormat, like it always was."

"Both of you, cut it out!" Bones scolded the other two, as the front door, opened, revealing Alex's father.

"Hey dad." Alex answered meekly.

Her father eyed the three of them confusedly, but mostly Bones, who towered over Alex and Jim. Alex and Jim both thought they were going to be turned away at this hour, but he motioned for them to come in.

"What brings you here?" Alex's father closed the door after letting them all in.

"We wanted to come visit you two." Jim set his two bags down. "Where's mom?"

"She's upstairs. She'll be happy to see you." Her dad stepped forward to embrace Jim, who happily obliged, giving him a quick hug. "It's good to see you son."

"You too, Frank."

Jim grabbed his things and headed upstairs to find Winona. Alex watched as he went upstairs, waiting for the scream that would come from her stepmother. In the meantime, Alex turned back to her father, who had his hands on his hips, and she knew exactly the question he was going to ask.

"Who's your friend that you brought home?"

Her cheeks began to heat up. "This is my boyfriend, Leonard McCoy."

Everyone froze as they heard Winona scream. "Don't worry about her. She's a very animated woman." Alex shook her head and scratched at the back of her neck.

Bones reached out to shake her father's hand. "It's great to meet you, sir."

"You too, Leonard." He gave him a firm handshake. "Call me Frank, please. So how long have you been seeing each other?"

"Seven months now?" Alex looked up to Bones for confirmation, and he nodded. "We've known each other for four years."

"Took you two long enough." Frank scoffed. "Go on and take your stuff upstairs, I'll go ahead and get you guys something to eat."

"Thank you daddy." Alex stepped forward and gave her dad a kiss on the cheek, and grabbed her things to take them upstairs.

"My bed isn't as big as the ones we have on the Enterprise but it will do." She led Bones up to her room, which wasn't very big, but it was just as cozy as she remembered.

Bones tossed his stuff aside and fell backwards onto the bed. "I could sleep for a whole week."

Alex dropped her things and climbed on to her bed, straddling his hips and trapping him underneath her.  "Three weeks to ourselves, Leonard. I wouldn't waste that time if I were you."

His hands danced along her sides, causing goosebumps to appear on her skin. "I'm never wasting time when I'm with you."

--

A few nights later, Alex and her father were by themselves on the front porch swing, not necessarily saying a word, just enjoying the cool winter air.

"Hey, dad. Can I ask you a question?" She picked up her knees and curled up next to him.

"Of course, sweetheart."

"How often do you think of mom?"

"All the time. Why?"

"Tell me about her. I want to know about her."

"You remind me of her a lot." Her dad wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "She was eager. She was beautiful, strong, intelligent, and incredible. Your mother was absolutely incredible."

Alex stared ahead into the night sky. "I wish I could see her. Or have her see us now."

"I wish she could have seen you grow up into the woman you are." Her dad looked up a little and pointed. "When I sit out here at night, I always look at that star right there, and see that she is amongst the stars. And now I know that you will be somewhere up there with her. That's why I'm not complaining about not seeing you often. I know my daughter is doing great things up there.

Alex looked up thoughtfully at her father as he continued to speak.

"When you've got two people like Winona and myself connecting over a loss of a loved one, it's crazy. We get each other. We know your mother and George would not have wanted us to move on and not lament. I think maybe we were meant to be brought together somehow. Us to Winona and Jim."

"Funny how fate works." Alex rested her head on his shoulder. "I never could have imagined having a step brother."

"We were reluctant to introduce you two to each other, you know."

"No you weren't." Alex scoffed.

"We were very nervous. But you two clicked right away. But the stuff you got into..." He shook his head. "Geez."

Alex chuckled. "You'd be surprised as to how many stupid decisions we've made since we've arrived at the academy. It's Leonard who has been doing most of the wrangling before he gives in and joins us."

"I like him. You picked out a more mature one out of any of the guys you could have picked."

"He worries about me like crazy, but I worry about him too. He was divorced before he applied for the academy. We connected pretty quickly. Almost too quickly."

"What do you mean by that?"  Her father prodded.

Alex hesitated. "You wouldn't like it if I told you."

Her father rolled his eyes. "Regardless about how anything came about, you've got two good men to look out for you out there, your brother and Leonard. I know they'll keep a good eye on you. I just don't want you dying out there like Jim's father. You got that, Alexandra?"

She nodded. "I will come back to you. I promise."

We needed some sweet father-daughter time today.

Be sure to comment, vote, share, and follow me for more updates from this story!! Xoxox.

~AB~