nine

"Give me something to believe in, cause I don't believe in you, anymore, anymore"

It took a lot for Alex to wake up for her next shift the following morning. Her limbs felt heavy, her head hurt, and her heart hurt too. She slowly cleaned herself up the best she could, showering and blow drying her hair, tying it into a neat ponytail. She got dressed in one of her long sleeves blue dresses, feeling chills course through her body.

With her cup of coffee in one hand and her PADD in the other, she headed to work. The walk to the Medbay was a shorter one, much to her appreciation. Noticing she was one of the first ones on her shift to arrive, she set her PADD at her desk, grabbed her kit, and went to go check on Christine.

The blonde woman was comfortably laid back in her bed, IV in her hand, and heart beating much steadier than it had been. Alex scanned her down with her tricorder. The color in her face had returned, and the scars on her face and neck were still bright red. But she was now breathing without a breathing tube, so that was good progress.

After Alex turned to take notes on her for that morning, she heard a grunt of pain as Christine shifted in bed. Her eyes slowly blinked open, taking in her surroundings.

"Hey Chris." Alex took her friend's hand. "How are you?"

"What happened to me?" She grumbled.

Alex took a deep breath. "We were attacked, and a torpedo hit Deck 6, killing everyone up there and a second torpedo barely hit the Medbay. It caused a shit load of damage though."

"So we're headed back now? What about the other ships and the mission?

Alex sighed and pushed Christine's her hair out of her face. "It was a failed mission. Vulcan is gone. All the other 6 ships gone too. They saved a couple council members, but Commander Spock has lost his mother and is acting Captain because Pike has been kidnapped."

Christine sat up, crying out in pain before Alex forced her to lay back down. "You have got to be kidding me."

"No I'm not. These guys are from the future. They know what they're doing." Alex turned around to scan the room, noticing Bones and other nurses doing their rounds. "I've got to go finish up. I'll check on you later."

--

Hours into their shift, Jim had called both Bones and Alex back to the bridge to discuss ways to actually save Captain Pike.

"Can you confirm that Nero is headed for Earth?" Spock asked Uhura.

"Their trajectory suggests no other destination, Captian."