eighteen

"Bring it back down tonight

"Bring it back down tonight. Never thought I'd let a rumor ruin my moonlight."

The only other funeral Alex had sat through was her mother's. Yet she was never old enough to remember her, the cancer, or her funeral. She never saw her mother die. He father didn't want her to.

She was pretty glad she didn't see Pike die the way he did.

Jim had identified the man that performed both attacks as John Harrison. Son of a bitch had killed almost 50 in a matter of 36 hours.

She stayed silent throughout the entire funeral, staying by Jim's side the entire time. Alex knew that he would be a mess through the entire thing, but he didn't dare show it. Bones and Alex headed back to their own apartment for the rest of the day, not doing much but sulking,  and doing any work that had do be done.

"Did you talk to Jim at all this afternoon?" Alex folded her legs underneath herself as she took the warm mug from him. 

"I didn't personally, but Scotty found an exact copy of his transwarp beaming device." Bones let his left arm drape across the back of the couch. 

Alex let her mouth hang open in confusion. "Does that mean John Harrison is associated with Starfleet?"

"He could be." Bones shrugged. Alex's PADD lit up with a message from Starfleet. She set her mug down and opened it.

Attention: Crew of the Enterprise

She swiped upwards on the screen, and the message shone on the holoscreen. 

Admiral Marcus has authorized Captain James T. Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise to report at 1000 hours tomorrow morning for a manhunt to an unpopulated area of the Klingon planet Kronos in search of the terrorist John Harrison. 

Alex groaned and put her face in her hands and groaned. 

"You had to see that coming." Bones shook his head in disbelief.

"Do you realize how many people we have to clear for flight by tomorrow morning?" Alex looked up at Bones, whose face immediately fell. 

"Oh."

--

"Doctor Vatterson!" Alex looked up from her final checkup reports and saw Chekov standing in the doorway of the little office she was given, all dressed in his own flight suit.

"Hi honey!" She greeted the energetic 18-year-old warmly, standing up to give him a hug. Chekov half tackled her as he hugged her, picking her up off the ground just slightly.

"I figured you would be at the shuttle already." Alex wondered aloud as Chekov put her down.

"I vas on my way, but when you were not with Doctor McCoy, I went and looked for you."