thirty-seven

"I should be glad I'm where I should be

"I should be glad I'm where I should be. But nothing is what it was."

"It's them!" Chekov called to Scotty, who was prepping the transporter room.

"It's who?" Jim asked.

"Doctor McCoy and Commander Spock!"

"Is he related to you?" Jaylah asked Alex. "You have the name McCoy too."

Alex laughed. "We're married. I'll explain it to you later."

They watched in surprised as Spock emerged from the transporter room, clutching his side, and looking a little frazzled.

"Spock! What the hell happened to you?" Alex reached out for Spock to guide him out of the transporter room.

"Doctor McCoy and I crash landed. A shard of metal punctured my illium. You must beam him back too or else he will be taken by Krall's ships." Spock limped towards Jim, who caught an arm and wrapped it around his shoulders to keep him steady.

Alex brightened up, but grew more nervous. "Scotty! Did you get that?"

"One step ahead of ya lassie!"

Alex stood in front of the transporter room, anticipating the arrival of Bones. A spot in the room lit up and the figure of Bones began to form, more pixilated than a typical transporter. He was terrified and squared up as if he was about to get into a first fight with someone. He turned around, trying to find the words he wanted to say, and grasp his surroundings.

"Good to see you in one piece, doctor!" Scotty greeted.

"Am I?" Bones asked warily. "I feel like my innards have been to a barn dance."

"These transporters were only ever used for cargo. A few modifications seemed the trick."

Alex made herself seen. "Thought it was best to beam ya back one at a time so you didn't....splice."

"Couldn't imagine a worse scenario." Bones opened his arms to Alex and she walked to him instead of running, muscles still aching. She embraced him gingerly, wrapping her arms around his torso and pressing her head to his chest.

"It's good to have you back, you alright?" Jim asked Bones.

"I'm fine." Bones let go of Alex and squeezed her shoulder before checking on Spock. "He's hurt."

"I am functioning adequately, Captian." Spock countered.

"Clearly not!"