twenty-one

"Some nights, I stay up cashing in my bad luck,some nights, I call it a draw

"Some nights, I stay up cashing in my bad luck,some nights, I call it a draw."

"I'm telling you, Jim! It doesn't add up! Why would someone like him surrender himself over 72 freaking-"

"Alexandra, NONE OF THIS adds up. Now go get your boyfriend and tell him I need a blood sample from Harrison. And I'm going to need you two and Doctor M'Benga to figure out why the hell he's practically inhuman." Alex jumped back as Jim lashed out at her.

"And that's an order."

Alex stood in her place for a second in embarrassment before rolling her eyes and turning to go the medbay. Bones probably didn't want to see John Harrison just as much as she did, but work was work.

She entered into the medbay while removing the flannel, trying to shake out some of the dust and dirt.

"Hey." Bones came straight for her before Alex could do anything else. "Are you alright? Are you hurt?"

Alex shook her head. "I'm fine, but shaken up."

"How many Klingons did you kill?" Christine asked while working on a patient.

"Too many." Alex looked back up at Bones. "Jim needs you to take a blood sample from Harrison."

"Why?"

She shrugged. "Ask him. There's a lot of research that needs to be done. On Harrison and his blood."

Bones nodded. "I'll be there. You go get cleaned up."

Alex hummed in return, wrapping her arms around his torso. Bones chuckled and returned the hug, tucking her head under his chin.

"Be careful with Jim. He's in a bad mood." Alex mumbled.

"Oh, great."

--

Alex had been researching through a list of names and other events while waiting for Bones to get back with the blood sample. Scrolling through the recent transfer and shipment history, she saw the order for Carol's transfer, and for the torpedoes right next to each other. Same stardate. Same hour.

Authorized by Admiral Alexander Marcus.

Alex minimized those pages and looked up some the personal records of Admiral Marcus.

Married to Samantha Marcus (nee. Wallace)

Father of Carol Marcus

"Alex." 

She jumped as her comm beeped and she heard Jim.

"What's up?"