thirty-two

"Cowboy take me away

"Cowboy take me away. Fly this girl as high as you can into the wild blue."

Another evening on the Enterprise came to an end, and Alex was by herself for the night. The ship was due to arrive in any minute to a brand new Starbase that would open up a door to all kinds of new technologies, races of beings, and shed a new light on the endless possibilities in the universe.

"Alex Watterson-McCoy's personal log, Stardate: 2263.2. We are a little under three years into our 5 year mission on the Enterprise. Things start to become dangerously routine when you have been doing the same job on this ship since we've all arrived on this ship. Dare I say things have been a little boring. My marriage is still going strong, but both my husband and I are starting to feel the effects of the 'artificialness' of being on a starship in the vast universe. I'm starting to wonder what it truly means to be a crew member of this ship. Yes, I am a doctor. Yes, my step brother is doing wonderful as Captain of this ship, and yes my husband is doing wonderful as the ship's CMO. But as we continue further into the universe, I start to wonder exactly how endless, the universe is. I am starting to wonder if we are striving for something repetitive. Sure it is not out of reach, but I believe that change will do some good for this entire crew, and will possibly lift the spirits of everyone on board. Maybe the starbase Yorktown will provide us with some insight into that."

Alex hit the record button again to stop recording a log, and saved the log to her personal archives. She set her PADD aside and curled up in the blankets of her shared bed with Bones. She was a little drunk, having spent an evening in Christine's room. And when she would see Bones again as they descended on to the newly opened starbase.

Her communicator beeped and she opened it up, getting the signal from Jim to come to the bridge to see the arrival. Alex stretched out of bed and brushed her hair out, leaving it down before heading upstairs to the bridge.

"Aye, she's a beauty, isn't she?" Alex heard Scotty say as she stepped on to the bridge.

"What a damn monstrosity!" Bones exclaimed. "Can't we just rent some space on a planet?"

"Showing geographical favoritism among inducted Federation worlds could cause diplomatic tensions." Spock countered.

Bones scoffed. "You don't think that looks tense? Looks like a damn snow globe in space just waiting to break."

Jim sighed heavily and rolled his eyes. "Oh...that's the spirit, Bones."

Jim and Bones gave each other and Alex folded her arms as her eyes were glued to the screen while the ship eased closer and closer to the docking port. The bay doors opened and Sulu guided the ship slowly down the port, passing by buildings and land perched on massive beams facing all different directions, the gravity holding everything down.

The ship slowed to a stop and the crew waited for the signal that it was safe to leave the ship. When the signal was received, Jim notified the entire crew and dismissed everyone for shore leave.

--

As soon as Bones and Alex left the ship, she grabbed on to his hand in shock of the massive crowds around them.

"Jeez, I didn't realize it was going to be this big." She almost dragged her husband through the crowds to leave it.

"Same here, let's try not to get run over by anyone." Bones caught up to her as they pushed through the end of the big crowd.

The Yorktown was the most diverse place she had been in her life. Alien races she had never seen, plants she had never seen, and the death defying structures she had never seen. She and Bones heard a squeal of delight and they turned to their right to see Sulu sweep a little girl off her feet and hug her tightly, while going to embrace another man, significantly taller than him.

"That's his daughter and husband." Alex concluded out loud.

Bones nodded. "Ben moved here to be closer to us while we are this far out." He turned back around and they saw Uhura tentatively giving Spock a kiss on the cheek and walking away, holding tight to the necklace he had given her as a present. Bones let go of Alex to talk to him.

"You guys break up?" He nonchalantly walked forward. "What'd you do?"

"A typically reductive inquiry, Doctor." Spock raised an eyebrow at him.

"You know Spock, when an Earth girl says, "it's me not you", it's definitely you." Bones shook his head and gave Spock a pat on the shoulder before walking away from him.

Alex was fiddling with her own necklace that held her wedding and engagement ring, when Bones came back to her. "Don't be so mean to Spock."

He chuckled. "I was just curious. And we always mess around with each other."

"Whatever." Alex grabbed his hand again. "Let's go look around."

So sorry about the delay😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 I had a migraine on Saturday and was busy all day today.

Be sure to comment, vote, share, and follow me for more updates from this story!! Xoxox.

~AB~