twenty-eight

"And here is the best part, you have a head start, if you are among the very young at heart

"And here is the best part, you have a head start, if you are among the very young at heart."

Alex was cleared to leave a week later, but not to work just yet. She was at least able to walk again, but with a brace on her leg. She planned on spending the entire day with a comatose Jim, and watch over him as he recovered.

Alex stayed with him for most of the morning, before leaving to grab 4 cups of coffee to split between herself and Bones.

Spock entered through the door shortly after she had gotten back, sticking to the back of the room as Bones worked though what he had to do. Alex looked back at him, giving him a small smile. Spock looked as nervous and as exhausted as a Vulcan could be, filling in for the duties Jim wasn't cleared to do until he was put back on active duty. The sheets of the bed began to rustle, and all three of their heads snapped towards Jim, who blinked open his eyes, only to close them again, groaning.

"Good morning sunshine." Alex smiled at him, who sank back into his pillow.

"Don't be so melodramatic. You were barely dead." Bones checked his vitals. "It was the transfusion that took its toll. You were out cold for two weeks."

"Transfusion?" Jim asked, his voice rugged.

"Your cells were heavily irradiated. We had no choice."

"....Khan."

"Doctor M'Benga and I synthesized a serum from his 'super blood', and Alex performed the transfusion before I had to nearly chain her to her own bed."

Jim snorted and darted his eyes back to her, squeezing her hand.

"I came more willingly than you'd like to admit." Alex grumbled.

Bones scoffed. "So tell me, Jim. Are you feeling homicidal, power-mad, despotic?"

Jim smiled. "No more than usual. How'd you catch him?"

"I didn't." Bones moved around to the other side of the bed to reveal Spock to him.

"You saved my life..." Jim praised his first officer.

"He wasn't the only one, Jim." Alex snapped.

"You saved my life, Captain, and the lives of-"

Jim groaned. "Spock....thank you."

Spock took a deep breath. "You are welcome, Jim." He nodded curtly and left the room without another word.

Alex pulled the covers away from Jim and crawled into bed next to him.

"These things are comfier than you would think." Jim shifted so Alex could have more room.

"I know." She elevated her braced leg slightly. "I slept in one."

"Right, right." Jim yawned. "When I get cleared to leave, I'm giving everyone shore leave."

"Right now, you need to rest." Bones eyed Jim, gathering his kit together. "Ill come back to check on you two after I've done all of my rounds."

Alex smiled as he waved goodbye and closed the door behind him. "I feel like we need to go home during shore leave, and take him with us."

"That's a good idea." She could feel Jim's weight shift against her, and his head knock into hers. "I missed you."

"I missed you too, buddy." Alex wrapped an arm around his torso. "It was awful, pretty chaotic."

"What was?" Jim wrapped an arm around her shoulders, so she was laying on his chest.

"You dying. Spock yelled for the first time, ever. Scotty was crying. Uhura was a wreck. I was an insane mess. Len cried too. And then when we figured out we could save you, it became a chaotic scene in both San Francisco and in the Medbay." Alex blurted out.

Jim didn't speak for a minute, obviously thinking about it was him who caused all of this to happen. "I just did what I thought was right."

"And we'll be forever grateful for you saving us." Alex looked up at him. "I mean, you sacrificed yourself for us. Spock made the Vengeance go down, but you kept us from going down with it. You saved us all, Jim. We can never repay you for that."

--

Jim was cleared to leave just a few days later. "Three weeks of shore leave for the entire crew!" He entered Bones and Alex's apartment with a cheer, causing Alex, who was splayed out on the couch, to groan.

"You're too loud, Jim." She buried her head deeper into the pillow she was laying on and pulled the blanket around her tighter.

"Her leg has been bothering her tonight." Bones stood up from his chair. "I have to talk to you." He offered Jim a glass of bourbon.

"About what?" Jim raised an eyebrow, taking the glass from him.

"Something personal." Bones motioned towards Alex, who was turned toward the back of the couch.

Jim shook Alex's leg, and she groaned, shifting on the couch. "She's not out cold yet."

"Might as well go outside." Bones shrugged. Jim nodded and they stood up, grabbing their drinks and heading outside to the balcony.

"Is there something wrong between you two?" Jim shut the door behind him and folded his arms.

Bones shook his head. "No." He slipped his hand into his pocket and pulled out a small box, flipping the top open, revealing a simple, but gorgeous diamond ring that shone in the dim lighting from outside. "I want to talk about this."

Jim let his mouth hang open. "You're going to propose to her?"

"I bought it a few weeks before we left on the original mission after Pike's kidnapping and the Romulan incident was resolved."

"That's how serious you are about marrying her?"

"That's how serious I am about marrying her. I'm asking for your blessing as well as her father's. I'm madly in love with that woman. I can't imagine not spending the rest of my life with her."

"If there's anyone else I trust with her heart, it's you." Jim reached out his hand to shake Bones'. "You have every one of my blessings to marry my step sister."

Expect time to skip a little bit in the last few chapters of part 2.

I'm so sorry I didn't update yesterday, I had a migraine😭😭

Be sure to comment, vote, share, and follow me for more updates from this story!! Xoxox.

~AB~