twenty-six

"There's a grief that can't be spoken

"There's a grief that can't be spoken. There's a pain, that goes on and on."

All eyes went to Alex as soon as Christine ended the call.

"We have a pair of crutches in here somewhere, right?" Alex sat up and attempted to stand, Bones holding on to her tightly to keep her from falling.

"Right?" Alex raised her voice just slightly, and a couple nurses scrambled to find a pair. They brought the crutches to her, and sized them just for her.

Alex began to walk of with the crutches helping her along, no one stopping her as she left the medbay. She hurried as fast as she could to Engineering, her crutches clicking each time she needed to take a step. She encountered a few curious looks as she continued her way through the belly of he ship, passing by scrambling ensigns on the metal walkways.

As soon as Alex began hobbling down the stairs to the warp core, she heard the most bone chilling yell she had ever heard in her life. It sounded like whoever was screaming it was screaming Khan's name. Alex struggled down the last step and hustled as fast as she could to the chamber. She froze up as footsteps heading towards her nearly shook the ground. It was Spock.

"No..." Alex rasped. She hobbled forward and Spock passed her, seething with anger. Uhura chased after him, stopping next to Alex.

"I'm so sorry....." There were tears in her eyes, and before Alex could say anything, Uhura chased after Spock again. Alex turned to the warp core, and saw Scotty dragging someone out of the chamber.

"Scotty!" Alex hurried to the Scotsman, and he dropped the body he was holding, revealing the body of her step brother.

"Lass....he's gone."

"Jim..." Alex whimpered, collapsing in front of her brother's body.

"No..."

She cradled his head and shoulders. "Jim....."

Tears stung her eyes. "Wake up."

Her lip quivered as more tears spilled from her eyes.

Alex shook his shoulders and her voice cracked. "Wake UP you asshole!"

No response.

Alex pulled his body closer to her, leg throbbing, heartbeat pounding an abyss into her chest.

"Jim!" She cried out, sobbing into the crook of his neck.

"Please.....oh god PLEASE!"