twenty-two

"What you can't see can't hurt you they sayBut I've been blind too many times before

But I've been blind too many times before."

"What have we got?" Jim asked as he, Spock, and Alex came to investigate the torpedo.

"It's quite clever actually, the fuel container has been removed from the torpedo and retrofitted to hide this cryotube." Carol nodded at the tube, taking away the top of the warhead.

Alex took out her own tricorder and scanned the body of the frozen man along with Bones.

"Is he alive?" Jim raised an eyebrow and looked at Bones.

"He's alive, but if we try and revive him without the proper sequencing, it could kill him." Bones shook his head. "This technology is beyond me."

"How advanced, Doctor?" Spock asked.

"It's not advanced." Carol interjected. "This cryotube is ancient."

"We haven't needed to freeze anybody since we developed Warp capability, which explains the most interesting thing about our friend here." Bones eyed the man and Alex straightened up, looking at Bones, and then Jim.

"He's 300 years old...."

Everyone could see the gears turning in Jim's brain before he stormed out of the room. Spock gave the rest of them a quick once over before following after Jim.

Bones and Carol continued to work on figuring out the torpedo, so Alex left without saying another word.

On her way back to the medbay, she let out a big yawn. The day seemed to drag on forever. Alex wanted to sleep, but with the current condition of the ship, she didn't want to try.

She could sleep when she was dead.

'Don't think of it that way.' She thought to herself. 'Bones was nearly dead.'

Alex continued walking, trying to shake away what all just happened. Jealousy? Nerves?Bones never flirted when he was nervous. Why would he now?

Did she do something wrong?

She couldn't have.

And before she could barely process that the torpedo closed itself on his arm, and he was willing to die and blow up on the planet so Carol could get back.

Selfless little shit.

Alex wiped her eyes and prevented herself from letting go of her bottled up emotions. She needed to stay levelheaded. Taking a deep breath, she entered the Medbay, trying to make herself presentable.