Chapter 1 ~ A Taste Of Freedom

••••

••••

The secret to happiness is freedom. It's what Akira Malik has believed since a young age but never received the opportunity to relish it. Born in a mercenary family has snatched her independence and tied her life with restrictions as enemies lurk around all the time, waiting for the perfect moment to strike.

Akira has been sheltered by her father, Adeel Malik who was too over-protective about his sole daughter. Bodyguards would accompany her to school, malls and even for a lunch at a restaurant. She hated it but would never say a word due to the fact that the one genuine person in her life was none other than her father.

Graduating from high school was the perfect occasion to have a taste of freedom. Eighteen year old Akira who has never stepped a foot outside the secure London that her father has created for her, who has never experienced life on her own finally managed to convince him to give her at least a week of liberty. A week spent at an island of alluring beaches, dazzling sunlight and captivating greenery was worth the eighteen years spent in coldness, rainy days and dull atmosphere.

But of course freedom isn't earned at the cost of losing nothing. Her father Adeel Malik gave her permission only if her cousin Maira Malik, friends Olivia and Mary and one of his young soldiers, Adam who is also a family friend of the Malik would accompany her. Akira had no issue with Olivia as she is her friend or Adam whose presence she can bore but Maira and Mary meant trouble. They had bullied her, called her names and even humiliated her several times. She never rebuked to prevent conflicts within the family but they were not her well-wishers.

Akira had no other choice than to agree with her father's condition.

The day mostly waited arrived. Akira was the most excited amongst the group of youngsters. She started loading the suitcases and the bags in the van with the help of Adam while Maira was walking around impatiently, hands behind her back, feeling upset as her bestie Mary hasn't shown up yet.

"Why are you walking around so much? She'll be here," said Olivia while dragging a suitcase.

"Has anyone asked for your opinion? Mind your own business," answered Maira feeling annoyed, proving that hate was mutual amongst the duo of friends.

Maira can be weird sometimes. She would never talk to her own cousin politely but with Mary, things are different. It's like they are actually related while Akira was only an unwanted guest that she has to face daily.

Akira ignored her and leant against the van, waiting for Mary's arrival as her father approached her.

"You really want to go on this trip?"

"Papa not again. We've talked about it and besides I have never been overseas before.

"That's because I care for you. I don't want you to get hurt. You know I have enemies everywhere and they know that you are both my strength and weakness. If something happens to you, I'll never be able to forgive myself."

"Papa, end of conversation!"

She left her father standing with an apprehensive face and sat in the van. She knows that he still don't want to let her go, even at the last minute. But Akira was determined to make a memorable journey, one that she'll take to her graveyard one day. A week of being herself, it's not much to ask.

Mary arrived and Adam loaded the remaining stuffs in the trunk. They were all saying goodbye and Akira overheard her father demanding a promise from Adam that is to keep her safe no matter what. She wiped the one tear that rolled off her eyes since she knew she can't watch her father for the last time. It will only shatter her feelings and try to alternate her thoughts.

"Aren't you gonna say goodbye to your father?" Olivia said as soon she sat next to Akira but she lied.

"I already said it."

When the driver brought the engine, Akira couldn't help but turn around and smiled forcefully at her father's somber face. Tears had formed in their eyes but they were bracing themselves to appear stronger.

Time flew quickly and in the next two hours they were already in the air, flying towards their destination.

It was no doubt that she would be travelling first-class so she took advantage and laid down after eating and watching her favorite Marvel movie, snuggling between the covers and closed her eyes as it's going to be the longest journey of her life. She felt asleep with a hope and awakened with confidence.

It's finally happening.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Saipan International Airport. Local time is six-forty-five a.m. and the temperature is twenty degrees Celsius. For your safety and comfort, please remain seated with your seat belt fastened until the Captain turns off the Fasten Seat Belt sign. On behalf of British Airways and the entire crew, I'd like to thank you for joining us on this trip and we are looking forward to seeing you on board again in the near future. Have a nice stay!"

After check-out and retrieving the baggage, the group of youngsters walked outside and located a man who was holding a piece of A4 paper that had the name 'Malik Family' on it. They approached him and Adam shook his hand. He made each of them wore a garland made of fresh flowers before guiding them out.

As soon as they stepped outside and breathed the fresh oxygen, they all said at the same time, "Northern Mariana Islands here we are."

••••